Where should I apply?

sa316

I'm a rising senior hoping to apply to graduate school for Cell/molecular Biology, Neuroscience, or Physiology. Basically, my GPA is terrible. I go to a competitive school and my first two years really brought me down. Currently, my cumulative is about a 2.6. I'm hoping that I can get it up these next two semesters but realistically I can't see it going beyond a 2.8.

I have a lot of experience however. I worked in a Biophysics/Physiology lab for about a year and presented my research at a conference. Now, I'm at Harvard Medical doing a similar research project to what I did before and there is a good chance I will be published.

I will also have great recommendations from people at Harvard and my previous lab. So this is also not an issue.

In terms of GRE, I'm planning on taking them soon and have been doing pretty well on the practice tests. I'm hoping to score in the 90th percentile or better.

Now realistically, where can I apply and when should i do it? I'll probably have to take a year off and gain more work experience, right? Or should I go for my masters first? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by sa316

I don't have a good answer to any of your questions, but if you're worried about your grades, have you considered doing a Postbac? My former roommate was an NPB major but didn't think his chances of getting into grad school were great, so he's currently doing one. As far as I can tell, it includes both research and classes, so it'll help out with the GPA while allowing you to add to your research experience.

One year is not a "lot of experience" - I know it may seem that way, but you will be competing with people who have 2-3 years in undergrad plus some who have 2-3 years in undergrad plus an additional 1-3 years afterwards, and perhaps a master's.

With a 2.8, yes, you'd likely have to take some time off and either work, earn a master's, or both. A post-bacc is also a good option - the NIH offers one in which you do research for 1-2 years in a formal program.