How do you deal with the rejection?

Guest Squirrely

Guest Squirrely

So far I've been rejected by 1 school (U of Iowa, after the interview, which made it really tough because then it's like it was personal. Plus, I think I was the only interviewee they rejected which just makes me feel like total crap), accepted by 2, and redirected to the maasters program at another. I foresee 3 more rejections in my future.

How do you handle this? I cried for like 2 days straight after Iowa, even though I knew it wasn't a good fit for me. I wish I could not take it so personally. What do you do to allay the impact of rejection?

Everyone is rejected somewhere. If you are accepted anywhere it is actually against the odds still. Because they can accept so few, they must really really like you if they offer you admission. Getting two acceptances is great! Forget about schools that accept you and get to deciding which school you want so that you can get other people off the waitlist at the school you don't attend and make those people happy too. As for the after interview rejection, I had a phone interview that was VERY positive and even suggested massive funding and then was blindsided with rejection two days later. Sometimes, it's just funding isssues around your interest or the program in general. They may really want you, but can't afford you. No one is accepted to every school. Also, if you happen to be social psych, it seems that there were very few spaces in general this year.

Keep in mind that a good portion of this process is completely random - beyond even the fact that its so competitive. You could be the best candidate in the world and still get rejected. Its diffcult not to take personally, especially when you invest so much time/money/heart in putting these things together, but my only advice is that you can't(crappy advice, i know ;) ) - so much of this is beyond our control.

Congrats on getting accepted at 2 schools! That's REALLY GREAT considering how much of the admissions process is based on random factors. Are you thinking of going to either of those 2 schools? It is really tough to deal with the rejection - I still haven't been accepted anywhere - but things happen for a reason. Maybe now isn't the right time for you to be in grad school, or maybe something else will come along that wouldn't have happened if you were in grad school next year.

Good luck!