I need a 143/140 on the Verbal/Quant section of GRE -----> Seems easy, is it?

thegreatgate

From my 1 day observations I am seeing a scale from 130 to 170 on each test. I need to be in the 140 range to get into the MBA program. To me, that seems very low, practically a notch above failing would get me that score. It is not a prestigious school.

I see people that can barely speak English crushing these scores (150 or better) and you can clearly read from their posts that English is their second language.

People I consider smart, practically geniuses, are posting scores of 155 or better on each section. Typically they are going into computer science or engineering. ETC.

Again, this is from one day of looking into the GRE scores online. Reading comments.

I would like an honest analysis about the difficulty of getting a 143/140 with not much preparation. I am really hoping to hear "that is an easy score and you should be fine"

I am right around avg. in smarts and I think I will do avg. on the test. My last math class was trigonometry, I aced it but it has been many years.

Please share your thoughts about the 143/140 score target....

Edited by thegreatgate

LOL.... how in the world could we answer this question?

I can tell you that a 140/143 is around 10th to 18th percentile. So if you are smarter than 20% of the other people you win.

On the other hand - I don't know many programs where 140 is the requirement. 150 is certainly not "crushing it" as it's around the 43-44 percentile.

For my programs in econ you need a 162+ Quant just to be a serious candidate at a good program. Many applicants have nearly perfect 170s.

Here's a chart that might be helpful (though ETS is always updating this as they tweak the new test).

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

I can tell you that a 140/143 is around 10th to 18th percentile. So if you are smarter than 20% of the other people you win.

On the other hand - I don't know many programs where 140 is the requirement. 150 is certainly not "crushing it" as it's around the 43-44 percentile.

For my programs in econ you need a 162+ Quant just to be a serious candidate at a good program. Many applicants have nearly perfect 170s.

Here's a chart that might be helpful (though ETS is always updating this as they tweak the new test).

http://www.ets.org/s...information.pdf

Thanks for the response. I was looking for a straightforward down to earth response and this is it! It's amazing how hard it is to get an answer. I tried Yahoo Answers a million times without a single response.

I think I am above 20% (at least 30%) so I should win.

I didn't mean 150 was crushing the exam. I meant people that barely could speak English are scoring 150 or better and that is crushing the 140 score...

I am lucky that my score requirement is so low. Number one I would never get in if they required a 162 in quant!

Also I don't have to freak out or study too hard because my school is not asking for a high score. I can kinda breeze in and take the test. And hopefully I will get at least a 145 in each.

Edited by thegreatgate

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ets.org/s...information.pdf

Hey! I got a 150 on the verbal and 147 on math. Not TERRIBLE but obviously not great. This is with no studying and signing up for the test in a 10 day notice (not that my score would have improved if I would have delayed the testing date.)

It wasn't so bad. I finished fast, some sections with over 10 minutes to spare. I did the 2 writing assignments, quant, verbal, quant, verbal, quant. All together 7 sections.