New Scientific Trend in the Verbal Section...?

1Q84

I've done a couple GRE practice tests so far and the ones from Princeton Review always happen to have these really intense and inscrutable scientific passages (origins of the universe with tons of specific astrophysics concepts/terms or physiological processes of the brain with tons of specific biology concepts/terms, etc.)

What's up with this? I understand that technically we're supposed to be able to parse these few paragraphs regardless of any background knowledge on the subject and that the questions should be baesd on pulling information from the information that's given but it seems to me like putting overly scientific stuff is a little lousy. I mean the sections based on Shakespeare don't include heavy literature terminology... not really fair.

I'm applying for English Lit, so of course I'd say that, but I guess they have to test science applicants too... ugh.

Is this just the Princeton practice tests or will the real GRE include intense paragraphs like that?

You can definitely bank on an inscrutable science passage showing up test day. Whether that passage is 12 lines or 60 lines depends on the test. I would prepare for the latter scenario. That said you may get lucky with a 60-line literature passage that will cause a science-centric student to break into a cold sweat.

Good luck!

I feel your pain! Those science-heavy passages are such a drain on your time.

I think it comes down to luck - I was lucky enough that my actual GRE didn't include a single scientific passage. But, it could easily have been the opposite. So, you have to prepare for the worst. Practice with the science ones, so that you are prepared. And, if you end up getting a non-science one, it'll just be a bonus.

In a way, reading passages are really the only unknown part of the verbal. So, one way to tackle them is by bulking up on vocab, so that you do the other questions really quickly, leaving more time for reading.

You can definitely bank on an inscrutable science passage showing up test day. Whether that passage is 12 lines or 60 lines depends on the test. I would prepare for the latter scenario. That said you may get lucky with a 60-line literature passage that will cause a science-centric student to break into a cold sweat.

Good luck!

Thanks for the straight up answer! I guess I should just suck it up. :)

In a way, reading passages are really the only unknown part of the verbal. So, one way to tackle them is by bulking up on vocab, so that you do the other questions really quickly, leaving more time for reading.

Really good advice! Never thought of it that way. Focus on your strengths...

B) <--- sunglasses to hide these eyes. They're English eyes. They ain't science eyes.