grad school loans

radjojo

Applied and accepted to a MPH program that I am super excited about. I have filled out the FAFSA, and the college has it on record. I am starting in Spring 2013. I have not yet heard back from the college regarding the amount of money that I am eligible for.

I am reading up on the loan limits for grad schools, and it appears that grad students cannot apply for subsidized stafford loans as of July, which sucks, but there are still the unsubsidized and grad plus loans. Not real excited about the gradplus loan route, higher interest, credit history considered, etc. (not that I have a bad rap sheet, but I would prefer to have the stafford loans)

The program that I will be attending will be less than the maximum for stafford unsub loans, and I am hoping that I will get the entire two years in those loans. Is this possible? I have other stafford loans unsub and sub, which are in good standing. But simply put, if I don't get the loans, I can't afford the school.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. But if you are asking whether you can pay for your entire tuition through stafford loans, then yes. As long as the tuition is less than the loan max, I don't see why you shouldn't. I don't know if you have to also pay for housing, books, etc with those loans, though. If that is the case, you may need to take out more loans or at least have a job while you are going to school.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. But if you are asking whether you can pay for your entire tuition through stafford loans,

Yes, that is what I am asking, and also if the tuition is less than the annual max, if it is a "given" that I will receive that much?

I think the best source of information for this is your school's financial aid office. They'll be able to provide you with the most accurate and relevant answers to your experience, credit history, etc.