MS in Petroleum Engineering with Applied Math Background

Hi all,

I'm an applied math major and very interested in the petroleum engineer MS programs at OU, University of Texas, Texas A&M, Univ of Houston, New Mexico Mining School, USC, etc.

I know most of them require a background in engineering but I have no engineering courses. Does anyone know of someone who has been accepted into those schools with a applied math background? Any advice will be helpful!

You may be accepted but have to take "leveling courses".

One thing to consider about Petroleum Engineering is that you pretty much only work in petroleum-related industry. I know that many people working for petroleum companies are actually mechanical, chemical or civil engineers. One of those fields may give you more career opportunities later on. Just something to think about.

I'm saying you should consider and compare career opportunities post-MS in each of those fields- mechanical, chemical, civil and petroleum- and make whatever decision is best for you. I have classmates from each of those fields currently working in the petroleum industry and classmates from each of those fields working in their specific fields. I initially considered petroleum engineering for undergrad but then realized I didn't want to be locked into one industry. I went civil instead.

Edited by cajunmama

That enlightened me very much, thank you Cajunmama! What about the rankings? I guess I will pursue mostly chemical engineering now with a few petroleum engineering programs.

What programs would you say is safe for me?

http://universityreport.net/us-chemical-engineering-ranking-2011

I'm looking at programs ranked 20 to 50.

I don't know much about any of those. Many of the universities you mentioned in your original post are in the 20-50 range. I don't know what qualities in a university are important to you, like location, cost, size of program, etc.

I don't want to be in the Northeast, anywhere else is fine. Cost is fine also since I'm working full-time and could pay up front one whole year of grad school. As for size, that's a hit and miss.

I'm mostly geared towards renewable biofuels and petroleum sources.

• 3 weeks later...

Also,

I've emailed a few directors of the petroleum engineering schools. And they asked that I should ask professors to supervise me because I will need remedial courses. Do I ask these professors during application season or after applications? I asked the directors the same question but none of them have answered for 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt that happened. That's incredibly bogus.

Oil will be around for hundreds of years despite the ongoing movement towards eco-friendly technology/energy resources. The demand is high, so is the pay, I know 4 petro engineers myself (but couldn't answer my academic questions regarding the programs) and they most certainly believe the technology needed to reserve all this petroleum will have to advance as fast as possible with a proportional increase in demand and salaries.

Edited by Hanyuye

I actually got in touch with several graduate students who graduated this year with MS and no work experience, only thesis/independent research. And now they're in Houston, Baton Rouge, OK City with 6 figure jobs as reservoir/petroleum/drilling engineers. I appreciate the links but I've read countless pages and the information in your link is highly circumstantial. Everything is looking fine now. Will keep people posted.