Ph.D. Grind -- by Philip Guo

icthere

Hi everyone -- I just finished reading this small book about a PhD student's experience at Stanford. It is very much different from other PhD-related writings in that it is not intended to provide grad school advice; the format is more like a story. For me, it was much more helpful in giving an inside-look into how things work in a PhD program, and I actually enjoyed reading it!

Anyways, I liked it. Thought you might too :)

You can read/download it here: http://pgbovine.net/PhD-memoir.htm

I have been looking for similar books for a very long time, and this comes as THE book I'm looking for. I have read a similar book for a master student who also graduated from Stanford. I enjoyed that book very much and tried to find another one that talks about PhD. Thank you very much and I'm sure I'll like it.

brb, printing time :)

I read a bit and really enjoyed it as well, especially the frank and personable writing style. What would be really great though is for a Humanities Ph.D. to write a companion book, as I am ALWAYS having to explain to other people who are only acquainted with science programs how different our programs are. Our first years ARE spent taking classes (and learning all of our necessary languages) and since papers are rarely collaborative, we're gradually coached to the point where we can present our own by ourselves, usually not before the third year. Having to go through all of that in the first year of a program sounds terrifying to me!

Although I am not in Humanities, I have always been curious to learn how things happen in a typical PhD program. I have noticed that the majority of these kind of writings are written by computer sciense people and as you said, some things which are the norm in engineering and sciences such as collaborative research papers are not so in Humanities. That said, I guess there are many experiences and many feelings, that all PhD students go through.

I enjoyed reading it even though I am heading to a social science program. Since I'm also moving to a new culture, I've been thinking of keeping a blog about my experience- don't know if I'll get the time though!

I have been looking for similar books for a very long time, and this comes as THE book I'm looking for. I have read a similar book for a master student who also graduated from Stanford. I enjoyed that book very much and tried to find another one that talks about PhD. Thank you very much and I'm sure I'll like it.

brb, printing time :)

Can you tell me how to find that other book that you mentioed about a master student at Stanford? Have you find any other related books?

Thanks for sharing, this is a great little book! I read it last night and found the obstacles he described as an early-stage grad student very similar to my situation (getting stuck, floundering, living-in-a-black-hole feeling), it seems like it does get better -- which is a relief for me.

Can you tell me how to find that other book that you mentioed about a master student at Stanford? Have you find any other related books?

Here is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Snapshots-Hell-The-Making-MBA/dp/0446671177

I don't know about your major, be the book talks about the author's experience at the MBA program in Stanford. To answer your other questions, all other books I have come to find talk about what is PhD, explain the program, and give some advices. They are fine, but I was looking for story-based books.

Thanks for posting this. I read through most of the book (while being useless during my last week of work) and enjoyed it. It is interesting how the writer's first full year of being in a PHD program was not what he expected (difference between our ideals and how things work out in practice). Also, it was nice to know he spent his summer interning at different companies and away from the university.

I've been reading and enjoying this as well. Thanks for posting. :)

The self-imposed isolation he described at the end of his first year was eerie to read - exactly the sort of idea that would strike me as a "good one" at the time, but would end up totally meandering and unproductive. I doubt I could sustain it for six weeks (!) like he did. A good cautionary tale about the benefits of getting out, taking initiative, and going to seminars.

Just finished this last night. I skimmed through some of the parts where he was describing his programs since, as a non CompSci person, it was all greek to me.

I'd generally recommend the memoir. It's a quick and easy read and gives a glimpse into the PhD life that (some) of us are just about to start.