Where can I find scholarships for PhD chemistry?

Eyfratxz

Helo guys,

I'm just wondering if you can help me find a scholarship for PhD Chemistry. I know this sounds broad, by I dont know where to start. I wanted to have a PhD degree to better serve our aging chemistry department in Negros Oriental State University. Hoping in the future, imparting knowledge to young and aspiring Chemist.

Any useful tips will be gladly appreciated. Thanks...

Most schools for a chemistry PhD will fully fund all of their accepted students with either a Teaching Assistantship or a Research Assistantship. You don't usually need to look for external fellowships (not scholarships).

For international students, within the US many of the external fellowships are only open to US citizens, so you'll want to look to your home country for possible funding sources.

It depends. There are a number of programs in Chemistry where you might take a pay cut with an external fellowship over the base stipend. Worth it for the prestige, but not helpful with funding travel and such.

Most smaller fellowships that will stack with internal funding/stipends are going to be internal fellowships, not external fellowships. And each institution has rules on how many of these they will allow you to stack, and whether or not it will reduce your stipend from the school.

In other words, you don't usually look for external funding as a source of increased income. You look for external funding as a source of prestige, and/or for a bit more freedom from studies.

Also, in general, things you apply for as a graduate student in the US are more commonly fellowships rather than scholarships.

• 4 weeks later...