Importance of Quant Scores?

Hi everyone,

I read the post on Verbal scores, but I was wondering what a viable "cut-off" is for quant scores? I just took the exam and I got around 78-80 percentile.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I read the post on Verbal scores, but I was wondering what a viable "cut-off" is for quant scores? I just took the exam and I got around 78-80 percentile.

Thanks!

Haha no one really cares about quantitative scores, except perhaps for GRE cut-offs for funding, which is more likely to happen at state schools. You did a hell of a lot better on the math portion than I did! I scored in the 56%, pretty satisfactory for me, considering that I'm an English major and haven't taken a math course in three years.

Edited by Two Espressos

Wait could you elaborate on the state school funding thing?

I'm applying to a bunch, as you can see, as an international student and definitely need some financial aid. Or are you talking about resident financial aid stuff only?

Two Espressos--I think you've got the right attitude; who cares about quant when you've got a PhD acceptance at Northeastern?!

Actually, I think that's his (her?) location, not his school. Unless I'm mistaken, Two Espressos is applying during the 2012-2013 application season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wait could you elaborate on the state school funding thing?

I'm applying to a bunch, as you can see, as an international student and definitely need some financial aid. Or are you talking about resident financial aid stuff only?

I wouldn't worry about it. You have too many other things to worry about, focus on those things B) Some programs' funding comes from the GSAS, and they may want to see GRE scores. But chances are, if you're accepted, you won't have an issue getting funding.

To the OP, your scores are fine. I don't think there are cut-offs for quant scores, and if there are, your's should certainly make that cut. I think I scored in the 60th percentile the first time and the 70th the second, and I was accepted to several programs.

Actually, I think that's his (her?) location, not his school. Unless I'm mistaken, Two Espressos is applying during the 2012-2013 application season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And here I'm worrying about quant scores--I can't even correctly interpret forum conventions!

I wouldn't worry about it. You have too many other things to worry about, focus on those things B)

Haha you could say that again :/

But chances are, if you're accepted, you won't have an issue getting funding.

Really? for an MA at a state school? The only campus I've seen that actually has an international student waiver is Cal State LA. Loyola Marymount has assistantships and teaching fellowships but they said they're "competitively awarded", which I take to mean it's going to be 4.0 GPAers and US residents who get it?

I'm just really freaked out, as an international student.

Some of the more ridiculous ivies (Yale and Harvard I think?) will post average quant scores even for English programs... and of course they're stupidly high percentiles. Totally unrealistic. I thought I had done decently on the math, or at least that I didn't give a crap, but then I got my score report and saw that the % was in the 70s... I was thiiiiiiis close to getting upset...

But then I was all, "Whatevs."

I am not taking that damned test again. Math scores can suck it.

Two Espressos--I think you've got the right attitude; who cares about quant when you've got a PhD acceptance at Northeastern?!

Haha I wish I could say that I had a Ph.D. acceptance somewhere! As Stately Plump stated above, I'm an undergrad still, graduating next spring. I'll be joining you alongside all the other 2013 applicants in the rat race this fall! ;)

Really? for an MA at a state school? The only campus I've seen that actually has an international student waiver is Cal State LA. Loyola Marymount has assistantships and teaching fellowships but they said they're "competitively awarded", which I take to mean it's going to be 4.0 GPAers and US residents who get it?

I'm just really freaked out, as an international student.

Actually, I'm less certain about MA programs. I was thinking mostly about PhD programs. I would look closely at the schools to which you apply; how competitive is the funding? If they accept 50 students and fund 3 per year, perhaps they won't be great fits, especially if you can't go without funding (which would be most recommended). Also look into non-departmental funding. Perhaps the department has some fellowships and TAships available, but there may be other grad assistantships available elsewhere in the university. My undergrad advisor worked in the university daycare during the first year of her masters. It wasn't the best job, but it paid just the same as the students who were TAing. Her second year she worked for the registrar, and by that point she had impressed the faculty so much that she was accepted into the PhD program (and many of the students initially accepted on fellowships or TAships had since dropped out).

One other piece of advice: don't sell yourself short. Yes, acceptance/funding is insanely competitive, but that doesn't mean you can't get it. Bizarre things happen on admissions committees; they aren't always taking the student with the best "numbers," which can play to your advantage. You never know what might happen, so send forth your best application.

• 4 weeks later...