SIPA Acceptance Today?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

I received an email with the link to applyyourself. When I checked the website, there was a new link under Application for Admission (above Personal Statement/R

Hello,

I'm waitlisted at SIPA, do you think it's a good idea to request an appointment with someone at admission's committee? I don't want to be pushy, yet i have a lot to loose. any ideas are welcome.

thanks.

Hello,

I'm waitlisted at SIPA, do you think it's a good idea to request an appointment with someone at admission's committee? I don't want to be pushy, yet i have a lot to loose. any ideas are welcome.

thanks.

Hello tasg! I am waitlisted too (MIA program) and my letter specifically say do not call or email. I'm not sure if requesting an appointment is a good idea...

Since this is one of the few threads talking about SIPA, I was wondering if anyone knew about regional specializations, namely the courses that count toward the specialization requirement.

I'm looking to do a regional specialization in either Africa or the Middle East. I will probably be taking classes at either IAS or MEI to satisfy the requirement, and want to see if there are non-language courses offered by either of those institutes in French or Arabic focused either on development or cultural studies--intended for people who already speak the language.

Fletcher has "Regional Courses" that do this over the course of a year. I was wondering if Columbia had something similar.

To those who got the GPPN email - anyone else suddenly thinking that the idea of a year abroad (and sometimes at considerably lower expense) looks very, very attractive? I liked the Sciences Po MIA option, but didn't want to do dual applications last fall. Now, that MPA (and knowing before I commit if I can actually do it or not!) seems very tempting indeed...

To those who got the GPPN email - anyone else suddenly thinking that the idea of a year abroad (and sometimes at considerably lower expense) looks very, very attractive? I liked the Sciences Po MIA option, but didn't want to do dual applications last fall. Now, that MPA (and knowing before I commit if I can actually do it or not!) seems very tempting indeed...

I feel the same way. If I didn't have to stay in the US because of my job, I would seriously consider a year at Science Po or LSE.

I feel the same way. If I didn't have to stay in the US because of my job, I would seriously consider a year at Science Po or LSE.

Science Po is a steal. At current exchange rates, the total estimated cost (tuition, living expenses, etc) is $20,600. That's half the tuition at SIPA. Incredible. LSE is still super expensive, even with the better exchange rate.

And Students at Hertie are fully funded. Wow. Incredible.

Is anyone considering applying to this? Besides the fact, it'll be much cheaper, it'd be a pretty awesome opportunity.

Are people still waiting on responses from SIPA? I would hope they've informed everyone by now!

I got official notification of acceptance yesterday. If anyone on the waitlist is still looking to get in, then there is hope. I will be declining my admission next week.

Savings at SciencesPo are only that big for the MIA program whose application cycle is firmly closed for 09-11. What's available for second year attendance, I believe, is the dual-MPA program, which is EUR 22K (USD 30K).

Read the details page. That 30k includes board - in Paris, another notably not-cheap city. Stop and combine 42k tuition and maybe 12k rent in NYC and it's still pretty impressive, I think.

Read the details page.

I concede. Now I want it even more. :shock:

So this came across my mind today as I began crunching the numbers. I still haven't received anything in the mail from SIPA. Shall I assume that the federal loan information sent to me in the mail by the other schools will be the same as or similar to what Columbia will be offering? Work study included?

Tasg just curious - did SIPA tell you they were taking people off the waitlist on a rolling basis, or did they tell you it would be much longer and then surprise you with the acceptance earlier than expected? I ask because Wagner said June and I'm curious to know whether other schools do it the same or differently.