SIPA Acceptance Today?

No, I don't mind. Here are my stats: GRE: 710 Q, 660 V.

I'm a (prospective) international student. Education: Law School and a MA degree in Political Studies (both from universities in my country).

Work experience: 2.5 years as a lawyer in a business law office, & 4.5 years in a top governmental position.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody having trouble opening the link to the application log in this morning? I'm getting an error message of some sort. Anybody?

It is not just SIPA, it is the entire ApplyYourself system.

the waiting is killing me! i haven't heard from any of the other 3 MPP programs I applied to (dual degrees - MPP/JD or MPP/Phd) and I'd really like to know now. SIPA is my top choice. I am bracing myself for rejections from all (quite likely, considering the rise in applications and other factors), but I'm secretly hoping I'll get in with funding so that I can get out of this crappy job market and stop interning for free everywhere :P Either way, I just kinda wanna know so I can move on.

I agree on that one. I've been moody for the past week! I thought there was no way sipa would accept me since I have no professional experience at all and no stats etc; but now that there is all this delay I can"t stop thinking that maybe..well maybe..they are thinking about keeping me;.

it's tough, I hope it won't take long anymore ...good luck to all of you!

All this waiting probably means we were put into some kind of "secondary review" which may or may not bode well...

Though I'm hoping there's a slight chance we (or some of us) are up for fellowship considerations.... :roll:

This waiting is driving me nuts! :o I'm refreshing my email every 30 secs... with each new email in the inbox, my heart skips a beat thinking this has GOT to be it! But sadly... no... it's not. I had some messed up dreams last night... both of being accepted and being rejected - I guess my subconcious is prepping me for the best and worst case scenarios. Looking at the gradcafe survey... seems like a bunch of people got rejected right at the get-go few weeks ago... and then it all stopped... which means, for those of us left in the bottom 20%, things may not be so bright. But then again, an older admissions blog post said that approx 15% of the applicants fall into pile #3 - those being considered for funding, and that these decisions take longer to process. Perhaps that approx of 15% is actually 20%? Who knows! Who knows! All I know is that this waiting is driving me nuts! :o

(Sorry for the vent-fest... my friends no long want to hear my waiting pains, this forum is all I got!) haha

Gosh smileyhalf... you've just expressed my angst!

I've gone completely nuts. I can't even focus on work anymore. I've become obsessive, compulsive and superstitious to boot :o . Can't even say the "R" word. My friends have suddenly become tone deaf too :(

Aaaaargh! How can they DO this?

I figure if they don't accept me after putting me through the ringer like this, I should probably go on protest and accuse them of mental cruelty, low productivity, bad karma and possibly everything else that's wrong with my life.

Maybe my friends are right. Maybe I finally HAVE gone nuts with all the waiting. Maybe I should just head to the bar. I'll raise a toast to all my fellow sufferers and hope we all get in with lots of money :D

This waiting is driving me nuts! :o I'm refreshing my email every 30 secs... with each new email in the inbox, my heart skips a beat thinking this has GOT to be it! But sadly... no... it's not. I had some messed up dreams last night... both of being accepted and being rejected - I guess my subconcious is prepping me for the best and worst case scenarios. Looking at the gradcafe survey... seems like a bunch of people got rejected right at the get-go few weeks ago... and then it all stopped... which means, for those of us left in the bottom 20%, things may not be so bright. But then again, an older admissions blog post said that approx 15% of the applicants fall into pile #3 - those being considered for funding, and that these decisions take longer to process. Perhaps that approx of 15% is actually 20%? Who knows! Who knows! All I know is that this waiting is driving me nuts! :o

That first wave included both the easily-decided rejects and the easily-decided accept-without-fundings (I was one of the latter). My best guess is that the 20% remaining are both some of those definitely-accept-but-do-we-fund? debates AND some of those do-we-accept-or-not debates. Overall, I'd say the odds then are pretty good, since some of the posters here are probably in that first group, and even some of those in the second will still get good answers. I think, reading the blog, that the ones not released aren't definitely in OR out; they're the hardest of the ad com's decisions.

Then again, I'm no expert - just trying to make sense of the Admissions blog posts and stave off despair for those still waiting. Think happy, fellowship-offer thoughts...

I heard that they have a way to track the number of times an individual logs into the application website to check for a decision, and the remaining 20% of decisions will be based on that number. The admissions committee is using it as a sign of "how bad we want it."

But you have to be careful and not check too often, because there's a specific number (I won't say what) that is a sign of mental instability, and that will definitely result in a rejection.

So... try to find the middle path.

The other day I made a graph titled "Time Spent Waiting on Graduate School Admissions Decisions" with two trends plotted, and sent it off to family & friends to provide them with a visual representation of my current state of mind. The first line shows Productivity, which plummets a time goes on. The second line shows Alcohol Consumption, which naturally does the reverse and sky rockets the longer one spends waiting.

My stellar quant skills are being put to good use here. :D

I heard that they have a way to track the number of times an individual logs into the application website to check for a decision, and the remaining 20% of decisions will be based on that number. The admissions committee is using it as a sign of "how bad we want it."

But you have to be careful and not check too often, because there's a specific number (I won't say what) that is a sign of mental instability, and that will definitely result in a rejection.

So... try to find the middle path.

Are you serious? :mrgreen:

It's almost the end of the work day and there's still no decision. In fact, I don't think anyone of us here heard today. I wonder if they are sending anything out today... Probably not.

Having read some of the posts on the SIPA admissions blog, anyone else get the sense that they haven't reviewed all of the apps yet (even first round), because it sounds like they didn't even start reviewing half of the apps until after the first set of decisions were posted on March 4. For example, some people on this board posted that they only just completed their apps a week or so ago by sending in transcripts and other documents. Also the blog repeatedly says that its irrelevant as to when an application is read

In which case, doesn't that mean that they're sorta doing this in a rolling manner? And if they are, how fair is that given that everyone paid the same damn application fee and submitted their stuff by the deadline?