SIPA Acceptance Today?

I received my acceptance notice yesterday afternoon (the email didn't come until 4 hours later, though). I actually applied the day before the deadline, because SIPA is one of my top choices and I wanted to focus extra long and hard on their app.

My partner also applied and hasn't heard back yet (we finished applications around the same time). To ease her nerves (and mine), I've come up with the theories that it could be alphabetical automatic notifications from the "notify this week" pile, or that certain concentration areas might have had different readers. Who knows...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I got waitlisted at SIPA as well. Any suggestions on things I could do to improve my chances of getting in off the wait list or insight into how the wait list process works at SIPA?

I got this from their website:

55. Can I submit additional materials to improve my application while on the waiting list?

No. We do not permit applicants on the waiting list to submit any additional materials. These applications have already been evaluated by the Admissions Committee; newly submitted materials will not be reviewed.

Source: http://sipa.columbia.edu/resources_serv ... s/faq.html

-------------

But who knows. I'd call the office just to make sure there's nothing else you can do.

Oh really? I heard it isn't a good idea to call and speak to them...

but I have another friend who got a full ride at Maxwell and she advocates otherwise.

What surprises me is that no one I know who applied or even people on this forum seem to have actually been accepted to the SIPA MPA MDP.

Anyone know what the class size is supposed to be?

For those of you who have not heard from SIPA, like me, what does the "Application Status" say on the online application? Mine is listed as "Incomplete", but all of the documents are listed as received so I figure that just means they haven't closed the file with a rejection/acceptance/wait list stamp yet. Of course, I think checking their website constantly and obsessing over every post here has finally made me lose all rational, and now, I'm just confused.

Should I be concerned or does your application read the same?

Seems like there are still a few of us that still don't know!

Hope4ful: Here is what the admissions blog says about applications being listed as incomplete:

http://rtl.lamp.columbia.edu/sites/sipa ... -deadline/

It says that it is common--but because it is so late now--I think you may just want to check in to be safe! My app has been listed as complete for awhile now.

Good luck!! :)

I think what had also thrown me off was the fact that my application was listed as under review, but this is obviously longer than the "normal" 2 week after the time period deadline. I called and left SIPA a message today, hopefully I'll hear something on Monday. Better yet, maybe I'll hear good news on Monday...

Thank you for the link!

I was accepted (no funding) into the MPA in Dev Prac program afternoon March 5. I'd be interested in hearing how many SIPA plans to enroll for Fall 2009 for the new program. I recall one of the program staff saying something between 20-40, but I'd like to hear if anyone else knows. I'm also worried about funding opportunities given the newness of the program.

Also - for those waitlisted: If I were you, I'd call and speak to the MDP staff with a short elevator speech of why you'd like to move into the admit list. Perhaps not this week, but the week after when things "calm down" 10%.

For any other admits into the MDP program, check out the new facebook group: SIPA MPA in Development Practice 2011

Good luck to everyone!!!

I am one of those "lucky" MIA applicants who hasn't heard anything yet. I'm assuming my application is undergoing a second review because of lack of consensus. I guess I should be happy because at least I haven't been rejected yet?

So far I haven't read any posts of anyone being denied admission outright. I've read "admitted" posts and "wait listed" posts. Have any of you applying to the MIA program been denied admission yet?

Me too, I havent heard anything still... I applied for the MPA at SIPA... hope to god this is a good sign... although i really doubt that the delay has anything to do with a better acceptance chance... i rreeeaaallllyy hope i'm wrong! :oops: :o

Yeah I'm afraid they are planning to notify those who were not admitted last. I hope I'm wrong. Of course, there is the possibility those of us who are still waiting are being considered for additional funding. haha, I doubt that applies to me. To those who are still waiting in limbo, good luck.

If you go to the results page it seems to indicate that there are people who have been rejected already--I think it is like the admissions blog said...either your application is still pending further review or there are misc factors that are holding up their decision. So...positive thoughts! And good luck!!

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=sipa

I still haven't heard back; looks like there are a fair amount who haven't but despite that, it's still unnerving certainly. It doesn't seem to indicate on the SIPA admissions blog when-ish they'd begin notifying the second round, it's pretty open ended and asks for patience; ah, more waiting I suppose.

I still haven't heard back; looks like there are a fair amount who haven't but despite that, it's still unnerving certainly. It doesn't seem to indicate on the SIPA admissions blog when-ish they'd begin notifying the second round, it's pretty open ended and asks for patience; ah, more waiting I suppose.

Maybe it means we are all being considered for fellowships :wink: