SIPA Acceptance Today?

Just got rejected by SIPA today; they said that my academics were great, but that I was competing with avg. age of 27 and more experienced candidates, and that I fell in the "less than 5%" of applicants whom then encouraged to re-apply after some more relevant work experience. Granted, I've only been out of undergrad for a year and a half but I really thought I had a shot because I have great quant background, numbers and international exposure (spent first half my life overseas, and study abroad). If I'm not overestimating myself, then if I had to venture a guess, maybe the competition is much stiffer this year as many have feared? I still saw an undergrad or two on the results forum who got in, so I suppose I am a bit confused and disappointed. The only consolation is that I guess now I won't have to worry about how to pay for the most expensive program on my list, heh.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear that Baryon... At least they told you you're good!

and you sound like a strong candidate with your stats and experiences, which must mean you'll do good at others.

I'm getting ready with my list of things to say to them if they reject me too... which I think is the case bcz I doubt I'm considered for any funding and if at least one of the guys on the committee already said no, well, I don't think my stats are strong enough to revoke that. I know, I'm over-analyzing, but I've been waiting for a good week and a half and this is driving me CRAAAZZY :twisted:

Anyways, I've started noticing more "I's" or "Internationals" on the result page, and I'm an international too.

I hope some of you who got your results already reads this. If you did, can you share your TOEFL score on this thread, whether rejected/accepted? I can see the other stats on the result page/threads but I never see anyone sharing their TOEFL score.

I know a friend who didn't score that high and went to SIPA (but 5 yrs ago...) so I'm just curious to see how much the TOEFL thing matters. Thanks!

rejected with the "less than 5%" of applicants whom then encouraged to re-apply after some more relevant work experience." statement, which sucks... i guess that SAIS, NYU and AU will have something similar to say.

on another note, being an international with a US degree i can't say that they care too much about TOEFL scores, then again u'd be surprised how many people fail the damn exam.

rejected with the "less than 5%" of applicants whom then encouraged to re-apply after some more relevant work experience." statement, which sucks... i guess that SAIS, NYU and AU will have something similar to say.

on another note, being an international with a US degree i can't say that they care too much about TOEFL scores, then again u'd be surprised how many people fail the damn exam.

That's too bad about SIPA Bayron, but from what I've read it's incredibly expensive so you might have gotten lucky! As for the other schools, if you're talking about AU as American University I wouldn't worry as much about work experience, I got in there and have barely been out of undergrad for two years. I don't think it's quite as important there as other places. For SAIS I know they do want a good amount of work experience but I don't know about NYU. Your stats sounds really good so don't count yourself out yet!

I'm so sorry to hear that Baryon... At least they told you you're good!

and you sound like a strong candidate with your stats and experiences, which must mean you'll do good at others.

I'm getting ready with my list of things to say to them if they reject me too... which I think is the case bcz I doubt I'm considered for any funding and if at least one of the guys on the committee already said no, well, I don't think my stats are strong enough to revoke that. I know, I'm over-analyzing, but I've been waiting for a good week and a half and this is driving me CRAAAZZY :twisted:

Anyways, I've started noticing more "I's" or "Internationals" on the result page, and I'm an international too.

I hope some of you who got your results already reads this. If you did, can you share your TOEFL score on this thread, whether rejected/accepted? I can see the other stats on the result page/threads but I never see anyone sharing their TOEFL score.

I know a friend who didn't score that high and went to SIPA (but 5 yrs ago...) so I'm just curious to see how much the TOEFL thing matters. Thanks!

--- Hi, I'd like to share my stats...I got 109 on IBT(internet-based tofel...about 630 for paper-based)...plus, I don't think TOFEL matters a lot..I know someone with relatively low tofel score but still got in....so dont worry.

jduds,

I'm still waiting to hear back as well...SIPA really does seem to be sending a mix of things although it seems like thurs and fri had a lot of acceptances.

I wonder if they've admitting on a rolling basis, or if the people who haven't heard back are being argued over.

I'm still waiting for a decision too!

uggh.

If we haven't heard back are we pretty much done for?

No it likely means the committee for your particular concentration has not come to a decision on your application. It also could mean you are being considered for a fellowship.

I also have not heard back from them, but am hoping to hear soon.

I'm awaiting their decision as well. They wrote me in the middle of last week. Apparently they had lost my undergrad transcripts, so I had to resend them. I hope they make a decision soon, so I know where I stand.

I would not assume that if you have not heard yet that you have been rejected. If they had decided to reject you already, they have no reason not to let you know. They just haven't made a decision on your application yet. They told me they had misplaced some of my documents and therefore were just starting to review my application last week.

I'm waiting for SIPA too...

...unless they screwed up my application like NYU did (which lost one of my LoRs (which was listed as received since November!), thus necessitating me to send another one...albeit too late for funding consideration...)...

Dude, SIPA lost on of my LoR's! It was from my college professor, a SAIS alum. I think they did it on purpose ;-) Anyways, I was waitlisted earlier in the month. I noticed a number of people have been waitlisted as well. That brings my chances of getting in is .00000001%.

For those of you who found out SIPA had misplaced your documents, how did you find out? Did they contact you? My application status has said "complete" since January, however I'm starting to get nervous hearing about all these missing documents! Also, to those of you who contacted the SIPA office directly in inquire about the status of your application, were the admissions folks willing to chat with you? I'm reluctant to check in with them considering they've explicitly said they can't respond to individual inquiries, however the talk of missing documents is causing me to wonder if maybe I should?...