Hopes!

gradhopes

I have applied to the Immunology/Microbiology program at Duke, Washington University in St. Louis, and University of Washington. All Rejection letters so far.

I have a GPA of 4.0 from the University of Otago, NZ. A TOEFL of 116/120 and a GPA of 3.6 from my BSc ( India). Its pretty disappointing and Im beginning to lose hope. I am waiting for results from University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, NYU and University of South Carolina and I really am not going to apply to any more . (Expensive). The way things are going, I seriously doubt any good news. Does anyone hear have a clue about the chances of the these Unis Im waiting on? Something to lift my spirits or insights? Anything? :):(....

It is really expensive to bring in an International Student (there are a lot of funding restrictions), especially in these economic times (which could explain some of the rejections). All of the schools you applied to are very competitive, if you are set on going, i would suggest popping in a few that are less competitive in the next cycle. Also, you should ask why you were rejected, it may help in your next rounds.

Thanks for the reply!

I know Applying to duke and NYU was really dumb. But I also asked the Unis if the recession made any difference to the number of students they take and they gave me a flat NO. Hence the high hopes. Lets see what happens with Vtech and USCarolina?

Hang in there. Things are tight, that is for sure. However, with good scores you have a chance, and I imagine that your research interests are more of a determination. For example, if the prof you have a perfect fit with isn't taking students, or (better scenario) you applied somewhere that your contribution would offset any expense to get international student funding.

I also plan to contact my "rejections" and ask for any feedback on apps. This is also a good way to show that I still interested in their program, just in case I decide to reapply.

Don't give up!

• 1 month later...