Defer law school for a second year?

brownpride

I applied to law school straight out of undergrad and was accepted into Harvard, but deferred for a year to complete a masters degree in public policy (which I'll begin this fall at Oxford's new school of government). My reason for doing so what that my career goal is to work in internationally-oriented policy, and thus I wanted a strong international relations/policy background as well as the legal skills I hope to develop in law school. However, due to a lack of international relations opportunities in my city and a lack of funds to travel/work abroad, I don't really have any experience in any facet of international relations (though that's what my undergrad degree is in). As this is definitely the field in which I want to work, I'm contemplating looking for a job after my masters degree and working for a year, thus deferring law school for a second year. I'd only defer if I could find work with a top-rate institution (i.e. I'd be searching at top IR think tanks, UN positions, and at top management consulting firms). But I'm not sure if it's worth working in IR for a year to help kick-start my career after law school considering that I'll have one IR-related internship in my masters program and another in law school. Thoughts/suggestions?

TL;DR - Deferred law school for a year to complete a masters but have no experience in field I want to work in; wondering if I should defer for a second year to get some experience.

• 1 month later...