Playlist, 2/25/09

Papa Bear needs your help!

I will be in the office for most of the day today working on this and that, and I am in need of a super badass playlist to get me through. Thus far, I've rocked some Clifford Brown, some Ben Folds, some Stravinsky, some Decemberists, and some Ornette Coleman. Reply with a band and an album or two. Make Papa Bear's workday as A W E S O M E as possible!

Best,

coach

How about some good ol' alt.rock?

I'm listening to Barenaked Ladies. 'Stunt' is a great album by them if you ask me. The album 'Beautiful Freak' by Eels (or E/Mr. E as he's known) is supercool. Also, any album by Travis, the Scottish alt.rockers. Thier new album 'Ode to J. Smith' rocks. :)

What's with the papa bear thing though? :?:

btw, Ben Folds is really cool.

Given that we are in the midst of the admissions process, how about some relaxing instrumental rock? You should check out...

1. Explosions in the Sky: "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place."

2. The American Dollar: "The Technicolour Sleep."

3. The Six Parts Seven: "Everywhere and Right Here."

Also, if instrumental music is not your thing, you should have a listen to Andrew Bird, Pedro the Lion, and Sufjan Stevens.

Peepz,

I thank you for your laudable contributions to the Papa Beard Rocks Out February 25 playlist. I assure you, each and every one of your suggestions found its way to my playlist, if only for 15 brutal seconds (you know who you are!). I was so super productive and so super happy yesterday that I have little choice but to play it all again today. Woot woot, hells yeah, etc.

Best,

Steve the Pirate

Sorry I'm so late coach, I hope you can include some of these in future playlists!

Edit: Oh, and you mention Clifford Brown in your original post. Arturo Sandoval, trumpet player from Irakere, has recorded a beautiful album to the memory of brown. He actually overdubs some of Brown's song. While that may sound cheesy, it actually works and it is quite nice.

You need to relax:

Ted Hawkins - The Kershaw Sessions

Alvin Youngblood Hart - Big Mama's Door

Baden Powell - O Som Baden Powell

Cat Power - Jukebox

Harry Manx - Dog my Cat

Kelly Joe Phelps - Lead me on, or the album with a blue cover (can't remember title right now).

Marc Ribot - Works of Frantz Casseus

Mississippi John Hurt - Any compilation of the 1920s recordings, the 1960s ones are ok too, but not as good.

You need a boost:

Irakere - Irakere

22-20s - 22-20s

Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit

James Mathus and His Knowckdown Society - Stop and Let the Devil Ride

Judas Priest - British Steel (Rooooooob!)

You need an in-between:

Pentangle - Pentangle

Dave van Ronk - All albums

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

Bo Carter - Banana in your fruit basket

Ry Cooder - Many good albums in the 70s (e.g. Boomer's Story, Into the Purple Valley, etc.)

I'll raise you Unknown Pleasures and Raw Power

Ian Curtis freaks me out a little.... mostly in a good way, but I think I need more coffee before I'm ready for that. Bernard Sumner, on the other hand, is completely adorable. "I'm not the kind who likes to tell yoooooooou *voice cracks* / Just what I want to do / And you're not the kind who needs to tell me / about the birds and the bees"!

On the other hand, I could totally get down with some "Search and Destroy" right now.