Do you think a double major in Biology and Biochemistry with a minor in Math could get into a top 25 BME PhD program?

atitus11

Hello all,

I am applying to BME PhD programs this December and am trying to get a little feedback on how to distribute my applications (top tier, mid tier, and safety schools).

My stats...

GPA 3.5+

GRE Q - 160+

GRE V - 160+

GRE W - 4.0

I have 2 years of cognitive neuro research experience as an undergraduate as well as a quarter of statistics research at Stanford and various other experiences throughout school. I have taken...

Standard courses in Biology & Chemistry (Cell, Genetics...Organic, Biochem, etc.)

Thermodynamic Chemistry

Quantum Chemistry

Calculus I/II/III

Intermediate Statistics

Linear Algebra

Differential Equations

Intro. Computer Science (OOP in JAVA)

Into. Physics I/II (Mechanics/E&M)

Do you think I have a shot at getting into a PhD program in BME? If so, what schools would you classify as each category for me?

1) Reach

2) Reasonable

3) Safety

Thank you for your help!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to apply--you have to find programs that relate to your research interests. There's no such thing as safety, and reaches when it comes to PhD.

And, in my opinion, as long as you have the research background and calculus, transition into BME from pure sciences is possible.

The main thing that I have seen is that a lot of engineering programs require either an engineering degree, or the base engineering courses. So look carefully at the universities you're interested in.

Also, you'll want to focus in a bit more on what your specific interests are- your research background seems like you've jumped around a few times.

The main thing that I have seen is that a lot of engineering programs require either an engineering degree, or the base engineering courses. So look carefully at the universities you're interested in.

Also, you'll want to focus in a bit more on what your specific interests are- your research background seems like you've jumped around a few times.

this is true for traditional engineering.

however at schools that I know (UCLA for instance) engineering fields like... BME, or Materials Science, require a degree in *a engineering or physical sciences field." They really want to see whether you can have quantitative and physical/chemical knowledge.

actually I think the absolute strictest on enforcing prerequisites is physics, EE and CS. Other degrees let you jump around a bit more I think. The head of the chemical engineering department at my alma mater doesn't have a PHD in chemical engineering.

At our school, all the sciences are very flexible, and both BME and CHE require engineering undergrads, or a year of prerequisites without stipend or tuition waiver.

My undergrad institution was the same.

From my alma mater:

"I have a Biology degree and have not taken engineering courses, can I still apply?

You are welcome to apply, however those with engineering backgrounds would be considered more competitive. To be eligible for the review process you would need to have proficiency in mathematics including two years of college mathematics (i.e., advanced calculus and differential equations), and one year each of physics, mechanics, chemistry, and biology."

Yeah, see the year of Mechanics? Those are the engineering courses that most other science majors don't traditionally have.

From my understanding, at least here, they actually want Statics and Mechanics- not similar classes in other programs. The math, physics, chemistry and biology aren't the issue, usually.

Here are the pre-reqs for our BME program:

1 semester of statics (ENGP 1410) 1 semester of mechanics of materials (ENGP 2430) 1 semester of fluid mechanics (ENGP 3440) 1 semester of materials engineering (ENGP 3120) 1 semester of circuits (ENGP 2010) 1 semester of electronics (BMEN 2730)

For students without an engineering degree, but with a physical sciences degree, there's a 2 year program before full acceptance to the graduate program. The first year requires registration as a non-degree seeking student, and none of the coursework counts towards a graduate degree- it's pretty much engineering prereqs. Your second year, you transition into the graduate program on a conditional basis, and "some" of the coursework counts towards your graduate degree.

Also worth noting that UCLA BME has some pre-requisites for each of the different subfields that you would not get in a normal sciences degree (Signal Processing, etc).

Yeah, see the year of Mechanics? Those are the engineering courses that most other science majors don't traditionally have.

From my understanding, at least here, they actually want Statics and Mechanics- not similar classes in other programs. The math, physics, chemistry and biology aren't the issue, usually.

Here are the pre-reqs for our BME program:

1 semester of statics (ENGP 1410) 1 semester of mechanics of materials (ENGP 2430) 1 semester of fluid mechanics (ENGP 3440) 1 semester of materials engineering (ENGP 3120) 1 semester of circuits (ENGP 2010) 1 semester of electronics (BMEN 2730)

For students without an engineering degree, but with a physical sciences degree, there's a 2 year program before full acceptance to the graduate program. The first year requires registration as a non-degree seeking student, and none of the coursework counts towards a graduate degree- it's pretty much engineering prereqs. Your second year, you transition into the graduate program on a conditional basis, and "some" of the coursework counts towards your graduate degree.

Also worth noting that UCLA BME has some pre-requisites for each of the different subfields that you would not get in a normal sciences degree (Signal Processing, etc).

There's some schools with very low requirements, but not very low rankings.

Here's UCSD BME:

http://be.ucsd.edu/graduate_prospective_students_admissions_requirements

Applicants are required to have completed a B.S. and/or M.S. degree by time of admission in a branch of engineering, natural sciences, mathematics, or quantitative life sciences.

Here's UCI:

http://www.eng.uci.edu/bme/admissions

1. 6 quarters of calculus through linear algebra and ordinary differential equations,

2. 3 quarters of calculus based physics,

3. 3 quarters of chemistry, and

4. 2 quarters of biology

Some non-West Coast schools:

University of Toledo:

http://www.eng.utoledo.edu/coe/phd_biomedical

The PhD in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Toledo is a joint program between The College of Engineering and The College of Medicine. The program is open to qualified students with either degrees in engineering or in science fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, or computer science. Since prospective students have a variety of backgrounds, the requirements for admission vary.

University of Arizona:

http://www.bme.arizona.edu/application_info.php

An original official transcript. Applicants are required to have a bachelor’s degree in enginering, mathematics, physical sciences, or quantitative life sciences for admission into the Program, with a minimum GPA of 3.0.

I'm not trying to argue that there aren't any programs which don't require an engineering background, I'm cautioning the OP to check carefully before application, as there are a number that do.

I think you all are missing the point. When it comes to BME, the background of the applicant is VERY flexible, one of the most flexible majors. But think of these as minimum requirements. The OP is asking about getting into a top 25 BME PhD program. I am currently attending a top 10 BME PhD program, did my MS at a top 10 BME program, and received 3 acceptances to top 25 BME PhD programs. I can tell you from personal experience, that even though schools list a SUGGESTED minimum requirements, they are not set in stone. BUT, from all the people I know that actually got acceptances, their backgrounds were MAGNITUDES times stronger than what the suggested minimums were on the admission websites. To get into a top 25 program, you need to be a standout applicant. So while you don't HAVE to necessarily have a engineering background, you will be competing with all-star applicants with such backgrounds and many with Masters in engineering.

With that said, I think the OP is decently competitive, but not great. He/she will definitely struggle getting into a top 15 school, but might have a shot in the 15-25 range. The OP's GPA is on the low side, no core engineering courses, no LORs from people that can speak of OP's engineering skills, no engineering research, or no engineering experience. That is a tough sell. I would recommend like 12-16 apps. I would say like half to top 25 schools and half outside. However, I would not apply to a PhD program in a school you view as a "safety". To get through a PhD you need to be passionate about what you are doing. If you get into a school that you aren't excited about and is not a great fit, you should not go. There are plenty of schools in the 25-50 range that are doing great work. Find schools in this range that excite you and apply to them because you really want to go there.

I'm at Duke for BME and they don't have strict requirements regarding engineering backgrounds. I have friends both in the MS and PhD programs that have degrees in biology, chemistry, and neuroscience. Just as long as you can demonstrate you can handle the math, you should be OK.