Supplemental essay for subpar score?

sherpa07

So here's my situation:

Just took the GRE yesterday, and did fine on verbal (166), but mediocre on math (159). HOWEVER, I stupidly thought that the final section was ALWAYS the experimental one, so I sort of brushed it off. I didn't not do it, I just completed it rather quickly. And it was a math section. So I'm quite positive this explains my lower-than-expected math score.

This was obviously stupid. I should have known better, but I didn't, and it's done now. Do you think this is something legitimate to mention in a supplemental essay? I'm quite sure my potential for math is at least a 163 or so. Or does mentioning this make me sound like an unprepared moron? I can't quite decide. I don't think the 159 represents my abilities, but for reasons that are sort of my fault..

Also, it was my second take, and I'm reallllyyyy not interested in sitting through another 4.5 hour GRE, so I'd like these scores to be final, if possible..

I have no particular knowledge of what admissions committees would be thinking, but I don't think it makes sense for you to give an excuse that:

- Anyone could make

- Is unverifiable

- Makes you look a bit silly

If you think those four points or so are likely to make a difference, then you might need to take the test again, unfortunately.

I have no particular knowledge of what admissions committees would be thinking, but I don't think it makes sense for you to give an excuse that:

- Anyone could make

- Is unverifiable

- Makes you look a bit silly

If you think those four points or so are likely to make a difference, then you might need to take the test again, unfortunately.

This.

I mean, there's no reason to make excuses in a supplemental essay. You'd look absolutely ridiculous.