Strengths/Weaknesses at DUKE MPP

number35

I've been following the board frequently and contributing where I can, and I haven't heard much wind on Duke's MPP Program.

From my university faculty, I've heard strong things about the program and it seems to be quite competitive.

-50-60 student each class

-47% admissions rate

-40% Matriculation

-644 Verbal (average)

-712 Quantitative (average)

-3.7 GPA Average

Lets do a strengths/weaknesses

Strengths:

-Small Class Size

-Social/Health Policy strengths (Poverty, Education, Homeless, Health Issues, etc.)

-Cost of Living (Durham, NC)

-Very strong funding

Weaknesses:

-Location (Not DC, NYU, Boston, etc.)

-Small Class Size (Alumni connections?)

-Not as "well-known" as GSPP, HKS, WWS, GPPI

Duke University is the wildcard, because, I would imagine fewer students applied there.

What does the Board think??????

Congratulations on your acceptances. I almost applied to Duke, but decided on Chicago instead due to the perception that it has a stronger quantitative curriculum. I'd also rather spend two years in Chicago than NC. Both programs seem to provide a decent amount of funding relative to other programs.

As for specifics, I can't say very much. I know that Duke has a very strong program, and I'd probably prefer to go there over places like ElliottĀ and NYU if location weren't a factor. Those admitted student stats are impressive. I've read that Duke has a strong focus on practical policy analysis and application and does a great job at training capable practitioners.

Duke is currently my top choice (the other three are Harris, GSPP and HKS) though I will not apply until this coming Fall and this list is by no means final. I'm particularly attracted to the dual MEM/MPP with the Nicholas School of the Environment; in fact I think this is Duke's strongest selling point for me. None of the other schools on my list has a dual MPP/MEM, though I know Indiana SPEA offers a similar program.

The location is certainly not NYC or Boston but unless you need to live in an urban environment I wouldn't hold it against Duke. Even urban schools operate within their respective bubbles to a point, though I grant that big cities offer an endless array of extracurricular entertainment that Durham/Chapel Hill can not match. I have lived in the Northeastern megalopolis for most of my life so I look forward to experiencing another part of the country. Plus, I'm a big fan of the outdoors.

If you're interested in international policy issues, as I am, the summer Geneva Policy Internship Program might be appealing. If I should end up at Duke I hope to take advantage of that opportunity.

In response to your strengths/weaknesses list:

I agree with 3 out of 4 listed strengths.

-Class size, cost of living, funding

- I can't personally comment on the strength of the social/health policy concentrations

I'm ambiguous about all three listed weaknesses.

-I already shared my thoughts about the location.

-As a simple matter of arithmetic the alumni base will be smaller than an HKS or other school with large class sizes, but I'd guess the quality of the Sanford Institute's alumni base is pretty high. I know networking is important but I'm trying to focus on the substance of the degree program first and foremost.

-Duke's Public Policy school may not be as venerated as HKS, WWS, etc. but it's not far enough behind to make a big difference. I find this a peripheral concern.

I hope I provided you some helpful information.

Younglions,

Thanks! I've very happy considering the way things have turned out. Quite honestly, Duke was one of my "pessimistic" schools.

I agree with you that Chicago is likely the stronger quantitative school (where my interests lie as well). However, Duke has some great programs. Between the 1st and 2nd years there is a required intensive internship that students use as the foundation for their Masters thesis. Having done an undergrad thesis, this seems to be a great conncetion; not only to the organization you work with but in advertising yourself to other groups.

ProspectiveMPP,

Most importantly, I agree that while Duke's MPP program may not be as venerated as KHS/WWS, it is still a very well respected program. My faculty mentors (PhDs uChicago/Rice) both urged the quality of the Duke program to me. And alumni quality may be found in the "intimacy" factor. While HKS has 200 students, Duke has 45-55. No doubt the alumni base will be smaller, but perhaps the alumni connections make up for overall girth.

Also, I've heard from a number of sources that the Duke MPP/Environmental Policy is the top of the class. While my interests aren't in enviro policy, I suspect this is a factor in your "ranking."

Good luck to all,

Lets sort out this Duke issue. C'mon folks, who knows what???

As a current first-year Duke MPP student, and someone who used this site extensively in the past, maybe I can help shed light on the pros and cons of the program.

Each Public Policy program will claim to have a niche. When deciding among schools, it is really your job to decide if a given school's niche is real, and if it fits you. Then look at the environmental concerns, i.e. weather, extracurriculars, etc.

I applied to four schools, and looked at dozens. Coming from DC, I did not apply to any of the District programs, and going to Georgetown and GW require you to make a deliberate choice in how you want to study, as classes are at night and you intern during most days. Comparing these programs in any way other than prestige doesn't make sense in my opinion.

As for Duke. I believe it does an exemplary job of preparing you for the work you will actually do in the policy realm. Classes are tailored toward analyzing case studies and acquiring skills that will be applied in real world situations. This is reflected in the first year spring consulting project, the summer internship requirement, many time-constrained group exercises, and the required master's project. The spring consulting project requires a team of MPP classmates to do actual data analysis and design a policy recommendation deliverable for a real-life client (with real-life expectations). It's a semester-long project, and given my past-life as a governmental contractor, I can attest to the fact that it is realistic. The summer internship requirement is an opportunity to get policy experience on one's resume before entering the real world. Students intern all over the world, with a concentration of folks in DC. Duke has strong ties at most governmental agencies (and decently strong ties at them all), so the process is not overly daunting. Finally, the timed exercises, like the 48-hour exercise, offer good practice at working effectively in groups under extreme deadlines. I have thus far found the experience quite helpful.

One thing I would stress to all prospective MPP students is not too put too much emphasis on location. MPP schools know the location of their job markets, and as such they put a lot of effort into minimizing the transaction costs of getting students there. I have been to DC 4 times this semester, and the four hour drive has not been a huge inconvenience when it comes to interviewing for potential internships this summer. Perhaps if you want to work in NYC or Boston solely and lack existing contacts, then going to school there is beneficial, but for DC in particular I'd say attending school in NC is not disadvantageous.

Regarding alumni, reputedly Duke's base is one of the more avid around. Even though I did my undergrad at an athletic rival institution, I must say so far I agree.

Anyway, ask more questions if you wish. I'd be happy to answer more questions.

Heh, I hope that means I helped.

Look, having tossed out positives about the program, I don't want to come off as a Duke sycophant, either. There are reasons to not come to Duke.

Other programs allow you to explore the academic side of public policy more rigorously. Other programs are in a larger city (although the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is nothing to sneeze at). There are probably some programs that are more focused on quantitative skills (although Duke now has an advanced track for those students looking to push themselves in this area).

As I said, I'm willing to answer any question honestly. I just remember lamenting, as you all are, on this site as I waited for email to determine my fate. It all worked out for me. I'd simply like the same for you all.

Yeah I'm trying to decide now between Duke and Georgetown (still waiting on Berkeley) and it is such a hard decision! On one hand, I want to be in DC because it is such an exciting time and I want to work. On the other hand, I'll probably end up there long-term and figure it might be good to get some variety in location for my graduate school experience. Financial aid will probably be a big factor.

To the people who've gotten in (and received their funding letters) what kind of financial aid is Duke giving? I have to wait for another two days to find out how much I'm getting, and the tension is killing me :shock:

I haven't heard about any other aid packages so I'd be interested to hear as well. I received a $6,000 fellowship + a $4,000 1 semester research assistantship + free health insurance (approx. $1,800 value). All told about $12k a year. They say that they are willing to negotiate if you want more aid. You have to tell them where you were accepted, what aid you received, and why you should get more from Duke. Pretty kind and well run admissions team over there, if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the Nicolas School for more money. Someone posted in the bank section of grad cafe about begging for money and I went off their idea. I basically said I'm interested in the program and its strengths bla, bla, bla; then I mentioned my particular strengths that would benefit the program; and finally I mentioned how I have competing offers that are tough to turn down but if Duke can come close to matching them, I would be in.

I structured it like a job cover letter because I figure that I am effectively applying for a job.

I didn't think it was awkward, worst case scenario they just say no and I am back to where I started.

Did anyone else apply for award reconsideration? And if so, how awkward was that email? haha

I did, and it wasn't awkward at all. Chuck Pringle replied the same day and awarded me additional aid.

BTW, if anyone else was curious like I was, there is no deposit due by the April 15 decision deadline.

I've almost decided that I'm going to take Duke. But I wanted to know - how much is the MPP geared towards domestic policy? I've heard that like KSG, the emphasis even in the social policy stream in Duke is on US policy. Since I'm an international student, I'm looking for more comparative courses which deal with different development strategies (like the WWS course). Would I get that in Duke?

any of you know about the International Development Policy Program at Duke, also in the T Sanford building.??????? I'm deciding bt the pidp at duke and the MPP at JHopkins, I really like the int'l focus at Duke but am not sure I will want to work abroad forever.. any input or ideas or anything about the PIDP/DCID (Duke Center for Int'l Dev) would be really appreciated, doesn't seem to be much info about this program on here! thanks!!! :D