NSF GRFP 2012-2013

Robin G. Walker

My undergrad school does give electronic transcripts, but they do something to the file format that produces a watermark that says "VOID VOID VOID" when you print it or upload it to something (like the NSF website). Everything is still perfectly legible, and the NSF does say that you can upload "official or unofficial transcripts"…but I guess I should still call the hotline soon to make sure. Or if anyone else has experienced something similar…?

Wow - thanks *so* much for that advice! :) I'll remove all my bold and italics then.

What? I didn't say not to use bold and italics…

Edited by Lyra Belacqua

Hi, I have a few questions about what I ought to include in my personal statement essay.

I read advice online saying I can include volunteering experience even if it is unrelated to my field. I volunteered as an election poll worker a few years ago, and used to volunteer at a pet shelter. I'm not sure how I can include that in my essay without it sounding like I'm just throwing random crap in. :/ Is anyone else including that sort of stuff?

My undergrad school does give electronic transcripts, but they do something to the file format that produces a watermark that says "VOID VOID VOID" when you print it or upload it to something (like the NSF website). Everything is still perfectly legible, and the NSF does say that you can upload "official or unofficial transcripts"…but I guess I should still call the hotline soon to make sure. Or if anyone else has experienced something similar…?

If you do call them, let me know what they say! Mine say "VOID VOID VOID" all over the transcript, too, but you can still read everything so I'm hoping it's okay.

I had a question about the previous research essay. Did anyone include figures in this section? I'm an applicant in chemistry, so I was thinking one figure might be the best way to get the point across for my most significant research experience. I know people often include figures in the proposal essay, but I haven't heard of anyone including them in the previous research experience essay. Thoughts?

I didn't include any in my previous research section, mostly because I felt like I could adequately explain my work without them- especially because you don't need as nuanced and detailed of an explanation of your past work. I did use a figure for my proposal, however, and there's no way I could have fit the space constraints without it.

Is it *very* bad if my research is something that could be done in a year? Also, how descriptive does the title have to be?

I wouldn't say very bad, but they might feel like it's a "weaker" project. Personally, I took an example from a typical NSF full grant proposal, and included a timeline for my project, split into three phases, discussing the main thrusts in each time period, as well as how I would work around possible complications.

If you do call them, let me know what they say! Mine say "VOID VOID VOID" all over the transcript, too, but you can still read everything so I'm hoping it's okay.

…and of course they're closed for Veterans Day today. I really should have thought of this sooner. (But I think since the website says the transcript can be unofficial, and just has to be legible, I'm expecting them to tell me that's OK.)

If all else fails, and I need one that doesn't say VOID, I think I might be able to take a screenshot of each page (if I open it in Adobe Reader, it doesn't say VOID) and turn them back into a PDF. Seems sort of bootleg, but that's sort of what I had to do for my transcript from my current school, which had a different kind of PDF security: if you tried to upload it, it came out blank, so I had to print it out and scan it (which is what the people at the registrar's office advised me to do!).

I didn't include any in my previous research section, mostly because I felt like I could adequately explain my work without them- especially because you don't need as nuanced and detailed of an explanation of your past work. I did use a figure for my proposal, however, and there's no way I could have fit the space constraints without it.

I wouldn't say very bad, but they might feel like it's a "weaker" project. Personally, I took an example from a typical NSF full grant proposal, and included a timeline for my project, split into three phases, discussing the main thrusts in each time period, as well as how I would work around possible complications.

How many years did you say your project spans? I was planning on saying 3 years for mine, but I am worried it might be too short.

Since I gave ranges for mine, it was from about 24-38 months, depending on exactly how long each phase took.

I specifically targetted mine to fall right around 3 years, since that's the length of the funding.

Since I gave ranges for mine, it was from about 24-38 months, depending on exactly how long each phase took.

I specifically targetted mine to fall right around 3 years, since that's the length of the funding.

Cool, thanks! I did something similar.

Hey all- I'm a little confused by :

Proposed Research Title spacer.gif

The title should be brief and informative. It should describe in succinct terms your proposed research, reflecting the contents of your proposal. Include a list of key words, and do not use abbreviations and chemical formulas (in 255 characters or less). This title will be used for searching research topics using the key words you supply. spacer.gif

*Proposed Research Title: spacer.gif

Use key words to describe the proposed research (in 50 characters or less).

*Short Research Title: spacer.gif

Anyone have any examples on what they are looking for with the short research title?

Edited by ryanmor

Hey all- I'm a little confused by :

Proposed Research Title spacer.gif

The title should be brief and informative. It should describe in succinct terms your proposed research, reflecting the contents of your proposal. Include a list of key words, and do not use abbreviations and chemical formulas (in 255 characters or less). This title will be used for searching research topics using the key words you supply. spacer.gif

*Proposed Research Title: spacer.gif

Use key words to describe the proposed research (in 50 characters or less).

*Short Research Title: spacer.gif

Anyone have any examples on what they are looking for with the short research title?

I interpreted the short research title as being equivalent to the running title of a publication (the shortened title found at the top of every or every other page of the paper).

For example, from the paper I have open right now:

Paper title: A demographic model for a population of the endangered lesser kestrel in southern Spain

Running title: Demographic model of lesser kestrels

You can look at other papers for more examples. I think the goal is just to describe the main gist of your proposal in a few words. I can't remember what my short title was, but I know I tried to make it like a running title.

I would guess that the short title is more important for the searchable database than the actual application.

Edited by Pitangus

I know it is kinda late, but I'm having trouble picking a primary field. For my proposal, I am doing a DNA nanotechnology project, which could fall under Chemistry of Life Science, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or Biomaterials. Does anyone have a suggestion under which it would be most appropriate? For background, I am in a Chemistry program, but my PI is in a Biochemistry department and also has a Bioengineering appointment.

Thanks!

Yes!!!! Same here! Glad to know I'm not the only one! I was ready to submit everything and all of the sudden it's not working!

On the webpage, I noticed a message about you'll have to change your password if you created an account before Nov 2nd (or something crazy), but when I refreshed the page, it won't even load anymore!

I will definitely be calling in the morning (probably like so many others will be doing :/)

I was just ready to review the questions on the application website, and the website is down for me, as well. I know that I had to write three essays, and I was focusing so much on solidifying my proposal.

Does anyone have the text for the other two essay requests? I know what the proposal is asking for, but I want to make sure that I have everything covered for the other two essays.

Now that the website is down, I feel really dumb for not saving the information in the excel spreadsheet like I did for everything else :S

I was just ready to review the questions on the application website, and the website is down for me, as well. I know that I had to write three essays, and I was focusing so much on solidifying my proposal.

Does anyone have the text for the other two essay requests? I know what the proposal is asking for, but I want to make sure that I have everything covered for the other two essays.

Now that the website is down, I feel really dumb for not saving the information in the excel spreadsheet like I did for everything else :S

Sure, here you go. I took screenshots of them earlier while it was still up. I uploaded it to imgur, you can click between the three essay prompts at the top where it says "first image, second image, third image"

Good luck writing all 3 essays in the next 20 hours!

http://imgur.com/kIh...O&LL2n1&97yba#0

Edited by hungry

Sure, here you go. I took screenshots of them earlier while it was still up. I uploaded it to imgur, you can click between the three essay prompts at the top where it says "first image, second image, third image"

Good luck writing all 3 essays in the next 20 hours!

http://imgur.com/kIh...O&LL2n1&97yba#0

Haha, thanks! I have so much essay material to begin with. The proposal is done.

Hello,

I'm a first year graduate student applying for the GRFP and I get this issue when I try to submit my application:

NSF GRFP Program Information Edit

*WARNING: The information contained in the education section of your application may conflict with the amount of graduate study you indicated you have completed. Please check to make sure information in these sections is accurate

I've checked my education backwards and forwards and I know that I've put the right information in there (I graduated from my undergraduate institution June 2012 and I started graduate school in September 2012). Has anyone ran into this issue? I could submit my application but I do not want my application to be hindered because of this.

Also, for any of you first year applicants, were you able to fill-in values for graduate coursework completed during your institution? I'm a first year so I have no completed credits so I put 0 semester/quarter units but it isn't showing up after I click submit.

Hello,

I'm a first year graduate student applying for the GRFP and I get this issue when I try to submit my application:

NSF GRFP Program Information Edit

*WARNING: The information contained in the education section of your application may conflict with the amount of graduate study you indicated you have completed. Please check to make sure information in these sections is accurate

I've checked my education backwards and forwards and I know that I've put the right information in there (I graduated from my undergraduate institution June 2012 and I started graduate school in September 2012). Has anyone ran into this issue? I could submit my application but I do not want my application to be hindered because of this.

Also, for any of you first year applicants, were you able to fill-in values for graduate coursework completed during your institution? I'm a first year so I have no completed credits so I put 0 semester/quarter units but it isn't showing up after I click submit.

It's doing both of those things to me, too.

I submitted this morning in a panic after several hours of Fastlane being down. As soon as I was able to get through I uploaded everything and hit submit.

However, I have since thought of a few revisions. Does anyone know if there is a method to edit my application after it has been officially submitted? (before the deadline, of course)

There is a link: "Withdraw Application Package" with the following confirmation warning:

Are you sure you want to withdraw the application? If you withdraw the application, your

application will not be considered for the Graduate Research Fellowship competition.

Click Back to return to previous screen.

I am afraid to use that option because I fear it may void my application entirely, when all I want to do is make an edit and then re-submit.

I have been working on my proposed research essay, but am still a little confused about the instructions. The second part of the instructions say:

If you have not formulated a research plan, your statement should include a description of a research topic that interests you and how you might conduct research on that topic.

I got the impression that maybe this was directed towards seniors/applicants not yet in graduate school, while first/second-year grad students would be expected to have a more detailed plan set out. Is that a correct assumption? I'm on a year off but applying to graduate programs now, and I'm struggling a bit to come up with a research plan like some of those I've read in the examples. Though there does seem to be a lot of variety in the amount of detail of the proposals I've read, I still feel like I'll be somehow penalized for not going into so much detail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I submitted this morning in a panic after several hours of Fastlane being down. As soon as I was able to get through I uploaded everything and hit submit.

However, I have since thought of a few revisions. Does anyone know if there is a method to edit my application after it has been officially submitted? (before the deadline, of course)

There is a link: "Withdraw Application Package" with the following confirmation warning:

I am afraid to use that option because I fear it may void my application entirely, when all I want to do is make an edit and then re-submit.

I would call the Fastlink user support phone number and ask: 1-800-673-6188

They are probably the ones who have the power over your electronic application, so it may not hurt to give them a ring?

Edited by SydTheKyd