Help, Masters in Microbiology

Finix_Sa2

Hey guys

i need some one to help me and end my Misery once and for all, I Literally lost sleep over this and have alote of discouragement from family and friends ..

i earned a BS in Microbiology from uni after a lote of stress and war erupted in the Country so we were sapoused to finish in june of 2011 but we finshed in march of 2012 in what they called a compensatory term we Literally studied the first weeks inAreas outside of the city close to the mountains as the University was brought under control , i'll spare you and get to the point>(I'm freaking out)

i got a lousy GPA 2.88 so i'm taking a GRE general and also a GRE subject exam because ( i was expecting it after i year of conflict ) although i did not get a great GPA i Always wanted to apply for graduate school and be a researcher in Environmental Microbiology /Microbial Ecology, So DO you think i have a chance in grad school or should i just give up and believe that i will never get a scholarship to graduate school abroad (Europe & USA)

i know what i wrote may not make any sense to some but understand my condition i've been up for days searching the net for any information.

would really appreciate any helpful responds..sorry for the long post :mellow:

Thank you.

It will be hard to get funding for a master's degree in general, and even more so with a low GPA. People will often try to get a master's to make up for a low GPA, realizing that they will generally have to fund themselves, but considering it a good investment if they can prove themselves and get admission to a funded PhD program afterwards (or get a good job, if that's their goal).

It will be hard to get funding for a master's degree in general, and even more so with a low GPA. People will often try to get a master's to make up for a low GPA, realizing that they will generally have to fund themselves, but considering it a good investment if they can prove themselves and get admission to a funded PhD program afterwards (or get a good job, if that's their goal).

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

OP,

How did you perform in your upper level (last two years) of microbiology coursework? Microbiology GPA? That is the one most graduate programs care about in lieu of your overall. Your letters of recommendation will also count for quite a bit. Having a breakout of war in your home country is a pretty big deal and something you should highlight in your personal statement for the program.

Also, like emmm stated, it is hard to find funding for a masters program especially as an international student. In the US, quite a few people go directly from undergrad into a PhD program in the hard sciences. If you think a career in research is what you may want to do, I'd say apply directly to masters and PhD programs so you will have more chance of funding.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use