Overall GPA vs. Major GPA

C_Chattra

I'm interested in applying for the MA Clinical Psych (Psych in Education) program at Teacher's College, but I'm a little concern about my GPA. My overall is 3.05 and my major is 3.32. Also, I was placed on probation after receiving 2.05 in one semester (had family and personal issues), but I was able to finish my last semester with a 3.62 and was on Dean's List.

Do you think the low GPA in that one semester will forever kill my chances at TC, or in grad school in general?? I'm planning on writing a letter to explain this extenuating circumstance... but it's really worrying me!! Any insights will be much appreciated :)

In general, adcoms seem to like upward trajectories... so one bad quarter with bad grades in unrelated subject won't kill you, especially at the Master's level.

I went on academic probation for having UNDER a 2.0 one quarter (failed a calculus class when I was still an Engineering major). I retook it and still didn't pass, so I have an F in my transcript (two, technically, but only one counts). I ended up with just under a 3.1 overall.

I didn't spend a lot of time explaining myself... I addressed it very quickly, explained what I learned and how that experience made me better, and moved on. I wouldn't write a long letter, personally. Others might feel differently :)