Will College Algebra Look Bad On My Transcript?

Bron708090

I am pretty awful at math and didn't even place into pre-calc. I didn't take Trig in high school as there was a way to opt out. I didn't think I would go into a math oriented field like Computer Science until recently. Anyway, I placed into the pre-req for pre-calc which is college algebra, which I'm guessing goes over Trig as well.

When I was taking the placement exam, I thought it wouldn't be worth it to study for 3 weeks and learn all the math, instead I'd just take the level of math that I was honestly at, so that I would have a solid foundation as I get into the more difficult math courses. I'm worried now though that it will look bad to future employers when they see College Algebra on my transcript. Will it be an issue?

I'm sure I could retake it, study, and place into pre-calc, but I can't retake until the semester has already started so I wouldn't be able to take any math class this semester. I'd end up taking Pre-calc in the spring semester either way. I want to take College Algebra just to build a more solid math foundation, but not if it's going to be considered a blemish on my transcript.

Everyone has to start somewhere, although you are far behind in math as most come into college having already taken AP calc. Not to discourage you or make you feel bad, but to implore you to this reality as I've gone through the same in transitioning from a no-math high school curricula to struggling through college math in a science field. I don't think it would be a blemish provided you do well and continue to do so for all your other math pre-reqs.

You'll more than likely have to take two courses in algebra (skip pre-calc), 3 courses in calculus and analytic geometry and perhaps a couple of courses on differential equations. Especially for someone who isn't math savvy, your upper levels will be very difficult. I'd suggest to reserve a seat in the tutoring center and really take time to master the material. It isn't impossible by far, but you are starting from the beginning and have plenty of catching up to do. Best of luck to you!

Everyone has to start somewhere, although you are far behind in math as most come into college having already taken AP calc. Not to discourage you or make you feel bad, but to implore you to this reality as I've gone through the same in transitioning from a no-math high school curricula to struggling through college math in a science field. I don't think it would be a blemish provided you do well and continue to do so for all your other math pre-reqs.

You'll more than likely have to take two courses in algebra (skip pre-calc), 3 courses in calculus and analytic geometry and perhaps a couple of courses on differential equations. Especially for someone who isn't math savvy, your upper levels will be very difficult. I'd suggest to reserve a seat in the tutoring center and really take time to master the material. It isn't impossible by far, but you are starting from the beginning and have plenty of catching up to do. Best of luck to you!

Thanks!

I was pretty embarrassed at orientation when everyone was already taking calc 1 or 2. Hearing that you went through the same thing is really reassuring.

I think I'm going to take your advice and sign up for tutoring when the semester starts.

Edited by Bron708090

• 7 months later...
Guest Gnome Chomsky

Thanks!

I was pretty embarrassed at orientation when everyone was already taking calc 1 or 2. Hearing that you went through the same thing is really reassuring.

I think I'm going to take your advice and sign up for tutoring when the semester starts.

I think it's kinda crap. I did strictly liberal arts my first 4 years of college and had only taken College Algebra and Intro to Stats. Now I've decided to complete a minor or double major in computer science to give me more options. That being said, I've gotten the top grade in Discrete Math, Logic, Differential Equations, Precal, Trig, Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3 and Probability and Stats. So I don't really care if the other kids came in with high school calc. It didn't seem to do much for them. 

Edited by JoeyBoy718