Interaction with professor

I'm not quite sure whether this is the correct subforum in which to post, but here goes. I have a had a wonderful first year in grad school excepting the following interactions with one of my Professors. I do not mean to whine, and I honestly don't believe that professors have enough time to truly hate a student, but I am a little puzzled about resolving a rocky relationship with one professor in the department who works in the field I want to go into. It seems that this professor goes out of her/his way to avoid avoid any interaction with me, even to the point of turning around in an empty hallway, avoiding me after talks and sundry other incidents. I might chalk this up to a shy personality were it not for my observations of this professors interactions with other students, which are generally quite warm. I don't want to catalogue my past interactions with this professor, but I wonder whether I may have offended her/him at some point. I am asking if anyone has any similar experiences, and suggestions on how to resolve this situation. I don't want to accuse this professor of anything, but I would like to feel comfortable in my interactions with her/him.

Hi there!

Sorry you are feeling this way.

To be honest, I think you might be reading into things here....I don't know many professors that would go out of their way to avoid a student just because they don't like them. I guess depending on their personality and professional attitude that might be different, but generally I wouldn't say (this is going to hurt) you're on their radar enough for them to dislike you and want to hurt you.

I think as graduate students we sometimes over inflate actions. I do it all the time. I will think that because my advisor hasn't emailed me back he must be avoiding me- but 99.9% of the time that's not the case- he just doesn't think about me, or I don't register enough on his 'importance' scale for him to respond. You have to remember that they have a lot on their plate- additional department relations, research, teaching, grants, papers, other students, etc. Sometimes I have to stop myself when I start to think about worry about it, and say "DO you really think when their at home at night they are worrying or thinking about me? ... Probably not" even though I am at home at night worrying about our interaction/conversation, it's nothing to him!

I guess without knowing if there was a particular incident that makes you think they don't like you, I am going to have to suggest that you just don't read into things. Perhaps a bit more context would help.

EDIT: I would also say, that not matter what you do, do not approach them and ask them if they have a problem with you. If anything, just try and to show that you are a smart, reliable, respectful, and motivated student.

Edited by Dal PhDer