SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

It is not uncommon for rejected applicants to be told by SSHRC to apply to CIHR. They're very strict about where applicants truly fall- and if you have a hint of health in there, you'll most likely be told you don't fall under the SSHRC funding themes.

Sorry to hear that SMF1016 - it's a bummer. Better luck next year.

Yes, but I think SMF1016 applied to SSHRC but was told to apply to CIHR next year. So the rejection letter is from SSHRC, I think. 

Yes, I applied for SSHRC and my letter came from SSHRC - they stated that my proposal was health-related and so I couldn't be included in their competition. They advised me to apply for CIHR next year because they fund health-related research.

Sorry to hear about it. Perhaps you received your letter already due to the exceptional circumstances of your case in which you were ruled out pretty much upon arrival at the federal level, because of the subject matter of your proposal was ill-suited to SSHRC. Otherwise, rejected proposals received notification at the same time as successful applicants. Could you tell us your location? 

I'm also sorry for your disappointment.

Given the date of your letter suggests that it is not of the same batch as the letter that are sent out after the adjudication. 

Better luck next year. A good thing about this for you SMF is that the budget for CIHR is almost double that of SSHRC so there is a lot more $$$ to go around. That is if you are into the silver lining thing.. If not i can only empathize and share your frustration (hugs).

SSHRC has been prolifically tweeting about everything but the one thing that really matters.... I think they are taunting us!!! ;)

Well, ok, maybe, this was my inner narcissist talking...

Went to an uber fancy gala last night full of important people and word on the street was that SSHRC letters had left Ottawa and were now travelling via donkey cart to their destinations, but take that with a grain of salt! No one I spoke to could/would reveal how they received this info so I'm not putting much stock in it.

Went to an uber fancy gala last night full of important people and word on the street was that SSHRC letters had left Ottawa and were now travelling via donkey cart to their destinations, but take that with a grain of salt! No one I spoke to could/would reveal how they received this info so I'm not putting much stock in it.

Thanks, for the update. I think i saw a donkey go by not that long ago! i'm on my way to check the poop-deposiroty-box ;)

status update: poop-depository-box void of any meaningful content :( (location: Ottawa)

You know i so close, they could just walk the damn letters to my house!!! (Why dont they?) Hell, i'll volunteer to pick them up and drive them around.....

Well, I didn't get it. I didn't get a letter, but the status on my university student centre site changed to 'not awarded' from 'nominated'. So, blah. Oh well.

Well, I didn't get it. I didn't get a letter, but the status on my university student centre site changed to 'not awarded' from 'nominated'. So, blah. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that mate :( 

big hugs!!!

Sorry to hear that, that really sucks! Keep your head up! 

Does this mean the uni's have the results? 

And what is the "secure" SSHRC site for the woefully uninformed?

Long time lurker here, second time applying, shortlisted both times, in Montreal.  

Anyone else try logging in to their own account on the SSHRC website? Mine is completely empty.

Also, my school does not list the "nominated" status (and never has), so apart from hearing in the letter, there's little else to do but wait.

question: if you're awarded a CGS, but you applied internationally (and your proposal made that clear), can you convert it to a doctoral fellowship? 

Yes, for sure! I've had two friends who've done just that for UK programs. And when you convert to the 20K, someone who got the 20K then gets bumped up to CGS.

Long time lurker here, second time applying, shortlisted both times, in Montreal.  

Anyone else try logging in to their own account on the SSHRC website? Mine is completely empty.

Also, my school does not list the "nominated" status (and never has), so apart from hearing in the letter, there's little else to do but wait.

Ditto, my school does not announce any kind of status. But i'll bug my graduate administrator, maybe they know. fingers crossed :)

Mine is also showing completely empty under the SSHRC portfolio page. It has for some time (since like Feb. I think).

I'm sure it won't be too much longer. Hang in there.

Yes, for sure! I've had two friends who've done just that for UK programs. And when you convert to the 20K, someone who got the 20K then gets bumped up to CGS.

Thanks. I won a CGS, but I applied to go elsewhere. I'm happy I can have it converted!

Edited by blanksun