When is the latest I can take GRE for Dec 15th deadline?

mf2232

So, the GRE website says it takes 10-15 days to score, and then the scores are mailed? But other people have said to give it 6 weeks. I'm kind of confused - when is the latest you guys would recommend taking the computer-based test in order to get scores out on time? Thanks!

Last year I took the test on Nov. 21st and made the Dec. 15th deadlines with no problem. I don't recommend cutting it that close unless you have no choice, though. Maybe try for closer to Nov. 1st? Bear in mind that scores are mailed from Princeton, NJ.

they score it within 2 weeks or so. but it goes into their mail center after that, which can be overflowing at that time of year. then into snail mail, and may need to get through intercampus and interdepartmental mail as well. so 4 weeks is probably fine, 6 seems on the long end, but safer. are the extra couple weeks really going to help you that much (over Thanksgiving no less, I could never study over that time, I'd be in a food coma!)?

In the interest of not creating another thread:

I'm signed up to take the GRE November 3rd. My deadlines begin on December 1. Is this going to be a problem? These schools seem willing to wait extra days or weeks for recommendations and other supplementary materials, so should I be extremely worried they won't get the scores by that time?

...should I be extremely worried they won't get the scores by that time?

I actually would worry about GRE scores not arriving on time--this is how many programs make an inital cut, and decide whether or not to look at the rest of your packet. I don't think Nov 3 is too late though, I think it is probably OK. This isn't really the same as waiting for supplementary info at all, since they will never need that unless you make the first cut.

Edited by Usmivka

• 4 weeks later...

I'm applying for Masters programs. The CSU ones open Oct 1 (today! eeks!) and close Nov 30.

Will it be too late for me to take the GRE in October (or even early November)?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

they score it within 2 weeks or so. but it goes into their mail center after that, which can be overflowing at that time of year. then into snail mail, and may need to get through intercampus and interdepartmental mail as well. so 4 weeks is probably fine, 6 seems on the long end, but safer. are the extra couple weeks really going to help you that much (over Thanksgiving no less, I could never study over that time, I'd be in a food coma!)?

Considering I haven't started studying yet, I think any extra weeks will help me that much.

In the interest of not creating another thread:

I'm signed up to take the GRE November 3rd. My deadlines begin on December 1. Is this going to be a problem? These schools seem willing to wait extra days or weeks for recommendations and other supplementary materials, so should I be extremely worried they won't get the scores by that time?

I'm retaking on this date and have the same 12/1 deadlines. In my portal, they do ask you to self report GRE scores. So, I would assume that even if the scores were a day or two late, the application would still be looked at. Otherwise, what's the point of asking to self-report GRE scores? Anyway, hope that helps!

Edited by Willows

Be considerate about the Thanksgiving Holiday too. I know I was not first and missed deadlines.So this is why the topic came up with my recommenders later. And than the sad surprise, professors told me later that self reported scores are fine and they are ok even if you take the GRE later than their deadline (!)... I kid you not. Anyway everybody said that they are ok with official GRE scores getting there late because it is out of the student's hand. Well, this info does not help me anymore I missed a number of schools because of this. grrrr. Anyway, you should check it with the department in question if you are in doubt though.

Edited by kaykaykay

• 1 month later...

Soooo.... I took the GRE on Nov 9. Most MA applications for the schools I'm applying to close Nov 30.

It takes 10-15 days to receive scores in my online account. I read somewhere it takes 3 weeks to send scores out to schools. 9 to 30 is exactly 3 weeks but could be more if they, like many mean, mean corporations mean 3 weeks in business days. Am I kind of screwed or what?

Just do not forget to send in your applications, all materials et. Put the date and the scores you know in your application as much as you remember f you do not have them in your hand. Schools know that what issues are out of the applicants hands and they are mostly ok with a little late GRE scores, recommendations, transcripts(if the school sends them).

Just do not forget to send in your applications, all materials et. Put the date and the scores you know in your application as much as you remember f you do not have them in your hand. Schools know that what issues are out of the applicants hands and they are mostly ok with a little late GRE scores, recommendations, transcripts(if the school sends them).

Great thanks!

That kinda leads to a side question: once you send one piece of the application, do the schools "start a file" for you and then wait for all the rest of your stuff to come in?

I submitted my online one and transcripts a while ago but GRE scores and writing sample and SOP are coming in quite a bit later.

Edited by 1Q84

Great thanks!

That kinda leads to a side question: once you send one piece of the application, do the schools "start a file" for you and then wait for all the rest of your stuff to come in?

I submitted my online one and transcripts a while ago but GRE scores and writing sample and SOP are coming in quite a bit later.

Exactly. Normally the grad division collects everything , makes sure that files are complete and everything found its place then sends it to the departments. But the things that you are responsible for like SOP and writing sample should be really on time.

I was told by the grad assistant at one of my schools that they actually get the scores in electronic from submitted by ETS fairly quickly, so they have them on hand in electronic form long before they get a paper copy. She said getting the paper form by their deadline of Dec 15th isn't an issue given the electronic submission byt ETS. End of Dec/early Jan is fine to get the paper copy. I'm taking it on 11/28.

It seems that people unaware that scores are reported by ETS in electronic form first and much more quickly.

Check with your specific school. I'm also afraid I will be missing the December 15th deadline but I called them and they told me to take that "off my worry list", since they don't care the results get there a few days late. I really needed extra days to prepare better, and so I'm going to do it that way. Try not to stress about it so much, and call your school to double-check.