Journal recommendation? Offbeat philosophical yet still respected?

I am considering sending in the writing sample that I wrote for last year's applications to some journals. I spent so long on it and was rejected from everywhere so I feel like all the time I spent on it was wasted... so I could at least try to get it published somewhere right?? I'm taking a year "out" to do some traveling and will be re-applying for 2014. At that point I'll probably put together a different writing sample, so I just want to get some use out of this one.

I'm sick of bothering the professors who wrote my recommendations so I'm wondering if any of you could recommend a good journal to submit to.

The paper is on Althusser and Kafka, basically. Its not really an "Althusserian reading of Kafka"-- its actually more like a theory paper in which I extensively discuss Kafka's "The Trial" in order to make a theoretical argument. There is some Zizek in there, and the whole thing is underpinned by Heidegger's idea of "poetic thinking"-- I talk about "the poetic" as a certain mode of engaging with experience, and relate that to Althusser's seminal formulation of ideological interpellation. So as you can see its a bit off the beaten track, maybe a little crazy. Any respected theory journals out there which cater to discussions of poetics (poetics broadly speaking). I don't really know how high (or low) to shoot either. I have an MA and did very well in my MA program and I have 1 publication already. But I have not been accepted to any PhD programs...

Is "poetics today" a good choice?

Thanks so much. Best of luck to those of you starting classes soon, and those currently working on applications!!

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is a list of journals that are good in different areas (by no means extensive) of English: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/english/graduate/profskills/Recommended-Journals.php However, I didn't see a lot about Philosophy connections. I did a search on MLA Directory of Perioficals and here were some suggestions (all peer-reviewed) based on the key words you used: Journal of the Kafka Society of America (6-8 per year out of 20, so not super difficult), Poetics Today, and Poetics: Journal of Empirical Research on Culture, the Media and the Arts (45-50 submissions, 22-25 accepted). Those are just a few suggestions, but this isn't my area, so hope I at least vaguely helped.