UI Chicago

Any thoughts on UIC? It seems like no one got in. I was sort of surprised to see myself rejected within a month of the deadline, thinking that it was on the lower end of the schools I applied to. Then, as I've seen, others have been rejected from UIC and gotten in elsewhere, so I don't feel as weird. Just thought it was worth making fun of it.

I've been waitlisted there, although I have no intention of going even if I do get in because I have a better offer. The waitlist email did say, though, that they only accepted 8 students out of 270 this year, whereas they normally would have accepted 20. I think the cut in cohort size explains why we saw so few acceptances, and I'm guessing that the location in a big city explains why they got so many apps. I was a little miffed to have been waitlisted at the lowest ranked school to which I applied, but there are no guarantees in English PhD admissions.

Yeah, I didn't get in either; but, it was my last choice. Plus, that was the only school I applied to in English and I didn't change my statement of purpose (which was very much comp lit based)--so I'm not surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been admitted to UIC, and I'm waiting to hear back about a fellowship.

Congrats! Maryland is also a great school with a lot of strong humanities programs. I almost applied there (Rhetoric) but didn't think I would get in. Best of luck with your decision. Which way are you leaning, or are you waiting on other schools?

I wish I had applied to Maryland. I seem to remember them having a later deadline so I should have just done it.

As you can see, there is a feeding frenzy of people hanging on any last hope to get into Maryland over in one of the other threads. Don't let them see you or they'll tear you to shreds! :wink: