LoR for MBA program

Imhotep

I'm applying for an MBA program with 2 years of work experience. The first was with an organization in Indonesia in which no one I worked with speaks English well. The second was with an organization in Somalia in which there are excellent English speakers.

I have an excellent LoR from a colleague in Somalia, but I am thinking about my second LoR. Should I get another one from my same position in Somalia (I could get a good one) or should I get a second LoR from an undergrad professor (I could get an excellent one, but my major was English literature). Would an LoR from a prof in an unrelated field be taken seriously?

It is actually a good idea to get a diverse set of letters of recommendation. The more people that can vouch for you from a wide spectrum the better. I know when I applied for an MBA, the letters of recommendation was purely just a qualifying thing, who or where they are from carried only minimal weight. The rest of your application is probably more important (in my case). After my MBA when I was applying for a PHD my letters of recommendation came from 1 graduate school professor, my professional background, and my collegiate track coach. So I would not worry about an unrelated field.

• 4 weeks later...

It is actually a good idea to get a diverse set of letters of recommendation. The more people that can vouch for you from a wide spectrum the better. I know when I applied for an MBA, the letters of recommendation was purely just a qualifying thing, who or where they are from carried only minimal weight. The rest of your application is probably more important (in my case). After my MBA when I was applying for a PHD my letters of recommendation came from 1 graduate school professor, my professional background, and my collegiate track coach. So I would not worry about an unrelated field.

can't agree. MBA is totally different from PhD. In all MBA information sessions I went to (Fuqua, Darden, Yale, Ross, Cornell, etc.), the admission officers clarified that applicant should submit "professional recommendations, not LoR from university professions".