Americans getting a PhD abroad

I'd like to get my PhD in mathematics somewhere outside of America--just to live in a different place for awhile and experience a different culture. I'd prefer Europe. I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know of European universities that readily accept and fund American students? If you are an American getting a PhD abroad I'd like to hear where you are studying and the process you went through to get admitted there.

Hi Joshua!

There are a number of excellent universities in Europe, and in general they all do take foreign students, including Americans. Generally, European PhD programs are shorter (about 3 years) but they often require that you have a Master's degree before entering. As long as you're focused on staying in academia, it should be fine to get your PhD from abroad, although you might have a trickier time if you wanted to go into industry upon graduating.

I'm a bit biased, but you should check out the Max Planck Institutes in Germany (there are a few math-related ones, depending on your specific interests). Further, if you have an undergraduate research or academic advisor, they should be able to give you an idea of the reputable institutions abroad and your chances of admittance.

Best of luck!

• 3 months later...

I will apply to the University of Geneva (Switzerland) because the courses in their Masters program in plant biology can be taken entirely in English.  Perhaps some of the schools you're interested in offer similar programs, so you don't need to be fluent in the native language.  Check them out and good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

This is a PhD offer for Applied Mathematics. Students can get a PhD in computer science, physics or applied mathematics.

http://compbio-dresden.de

Some years ago Times Higher Education Supplement rankings of non-university research institutions (based on international peer review by academics) placed the Max Planck Society as No.1 in the world for science research, and No.3 in technology research (behind AT&T corporationand the Argone Natioal Laboratory in the United States). 

Meanwhile it has become more stronger than weaker, so it's probably choosy and picky but not finicking.