PhD in epi from community health

acdelco

Does any one know of anyone who got their MPH in community health/health and social behavior etc. and went on to do their PhD in epi.

Most of the professors who do research I am most interested in are in Epi departments but I got my MPH in Health and Social Behavior. Since getting my MPH in 2011 I've been working as a research analyst, I don't have any published articles but I have a couple abstracts and posters.

MPH GPA: 3.8

GRE: V 163 (91) Q 155 (64%) W 4.5 (73%)

does anyone have any helpful advice on how I could position myself into an Epi department without an Epi MPH? --I could definitely go the social epi route but am just wondering what the chances might be.

thanks!

• 3 months later...

I guess I'm several months late to your question but I'm in a very similar position to yours. I applied to an Epi program and a maternal/child health program because I want to do research in a specific area. The work I hope to do is quantitative and a stronger methods base seems vital. Our "stats" are nearly identical. I'd love to hear if you decided to go for it and how things are going for you. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the delay on my end also. I ended up applying to a couple Epi departments just because the faculty research really was a better fit. I'm hoping my research experience and GRE scores help assuage concerns about my quant abilities. I had one interview and they asked me if I was nervous about the quant requirements of an Epi PhD and I just answered honestly that while my qual skills are stronger I think I would be fine, so now just lots of waiting!

how about you, how did/are thing panning out for you? 

I applied to the one Epi program I'd like to be at, yes. I was asked the same question and gave a similar answer (plus I'm taking very quantatively heavy electives and doing well in them). I applied to another program at the same school (same access to particular faculty there), so I'm waiting on both and I'm very eager to hear something soon! Good luck to you!

When I saw the original post I wondered if I was the one that posted it, lol.  I'm getting my MPH in Comm Health/Health Behavior   MPH GPA 3.88, V (160) Q (155) AW 4.0.  

One of the faculty I spoke to at UNC told me about one of her former PhD advisees (at UNC) who had done his MS in MCH (also at UNC) and then his PhD with her, he is now actually on the faculty at UNC and is one of my POIs in addition to her.

I feel like there is less an emphasis on being able to do things like math problems but the emphasis is more on performing strong analysis and making good inferences based on the data.  I have one published paper and experience with research in foreign countries which I'm using as part of my thesis, so I think I've made up for my non-epi PhD somewhat.

I feel like there is less an emphasis on being able to do things like math problems but the emphasis is more on performing strong analysis and making good inferences based on the data.  I have one published paper and experience with research in foreign countries which I'm using as part of my thesis, so I think I've made up for my non-epi PhD somewhat.

** I mean non-epi MPH not PhD

Looks like (at least from what I've seen on here) that the UNC-Epi acceptances haven't gone out yet.  My guess is that they're waiting till the very end of Jan just like last year, no matter what day of the week it falls on.

Madness. I can't focus on anything else.

Haha, same.  Still waiting, but no news on the forums yet, although I'm sure my number twins will post results as soon as you guys hear back.