Graduate Advisor

Thegreatunknown

Hi all,

So I'm three weeks into my master's Art History program and I'm constantly a ball of nerves. I'm the only new person in my program studying ancient art and there's only one professor who focuses on that. I knew I wanted to join this program to work with this specific professor, but I never actually emailed her. Every time I tell anyone my focus they immediately say "Oh, so you're working with Dr. so and so!" My response is always awkward and dodgy because I have yet to even talk to this professor! Should I email her and tell her that I hope to work with her throughout my masters program? Should I try to arrange a meeting? I don't even have an idea of what my thesis will be about. It seems that everyone else knows exactly what they're doing and where they stand. This is all very new to me and I don't know the protocol. Do first year masters students need to have an adviser already? Any information or advice would help!

Thanks!

Just drop her an e-mail and say, "I'm just starting and I'm interested in studying ancient art and theory. I would love to have a chat with you sometimes to discuss our interests and ideas of where I can go going forward." Something like that.

Honestly, NBD. :)

Stop being a worrywort. It will do you absolutely no good in graduate school. :) It's okay to worry a little but don't let it take over your life. As my adviser says, "no worries" to a lot of things and if I don't hear her say "no worries" then I DO worry! So I know what's worth worrying and what's not worth worrying.