WOW - really bad instructor

margarets

One of my instructor is also not very optimal. I know grad school is about "teaching yourself" but it should not be a huge jump. It should not be expecting 1st graders to understand abstract algebra, for instance. The material being assessed on the homework is not in the assigned textbook and was not covered in lecture. The methods needed to solve the problems are, after asking others to help me, found in upper division undergrad mathematics texts, which physics majors do not know.

The material is also only very tangentially related to whats in the book and lectures. The homeworks take literally days to do a single problem.

The methods needed to solve the problems are, after asking others to help me, found in upper division undergrad mathematics texts, which physics majors do not know.

I have to say that I'm surprised you would say that physics majors don't know upper division mathematics. The two undergrad physics programs I'm familiar with require their students to take so many upper-level math courses that they can complete a minor in math with only 1-2 additional courses.

It seems to me like you need to get up to speed and quickly. If the material you don't understand isn't in the lecture or the book, it's quite possibly because the instructor assumes that you already learned it in another course.

I have to say that I'm surprised you would say that physics majors don't know upper division mathematics. The two undergrad physics programs I'm familiar with require their students to take so many upper-level math courses that they can complete a minor in math with only 1-2 additional courses.

It seems to me like you need to get up to speed and quickly. If the material you don't understand isn't in the lecture or the book, it's quite possibly because the instructor assumes that you already learned it in another course.

At my alma mater "upper level" math is: abstract algebra, theoretical linear algebra, complex analysis, real analysis, number theory, numerical methods. These are things like proof of uniqueness, boundedness, continuity, etc. AKA nothing to do with physics.

Instead I took 1 course in "math methods for scientists and engineers" beyond the lower division math which is 2 years - calculus, multivariable and vector calculus, ODEs, and intro linear algebra. This arrangement was specifically made so that physical science and engineering majors would get all the math they needed as fast as possible without needing the rigor of a math class (which means no proofs, only learning how to compute things). I understand at some schools they don't offer this sort of class and instead make the physics majors take classes with the math majors.

Oh well. Yesterday we got done with the math behind it and started doing real physics. The homework got easier, not because I understand it now but because it is seriously easier and actually physics with less proof based math. I just get the nagging feeling that the proof based math is going to come back on the test.

At my alma mater "upper level" math is: abstract algebra, theoretical linear algebra, complex analysis, real analysis, number theory, numerical methods. These are things like proof of uniqueness, boundedness, continuity, etc. AKA nothing to do with physics.

Instead I took 1 course in "math methods for scientists and engineers" beyond the lower division math which is 2 years - calculus, multivariable and vector calculus, ODEs, and intro linear algebra. This arrangement was specifically made so that physical science and engineering majors would get all the math they needed as fast as possible without needing the rigor of a math class (which means no proofs, only learning how to compute things). I understand at some schools they don't offer this sort of class and instead make the physics majors take classes with the math majors.

Oh well. Yesterday we got done with the math behind it and started doing real physics. The homework got easier, not because I understand it now but because it is seriously easier and actually physics with less proof based math. I just get the nagging feeling that the proof based math is going to come back on the test.

On a side note: I have fallen into the trap that assuming that there is similarity between programs. So if in one program I don't need certain pre-reqs, I assume I wouldn't need them for the same program at a different school. But that's not the case. However, your school should have made sure you were prepared for a course that required specific training. They might have made you take a foundation course so that you were on par with what they felt students should know. Regardless, there are lots of times in grad school where I have been in a class and had to teach myself what we were covering. (Takes me back to multivariate statistics). It's one of the hardest parts about the experience, if you don't know what's going on and don't have the background knowledge, then you're up the creek without a paddle, and have to learn it outside on your own!

On a side note: I have fallen into the trap that assuming that there is similarity between programs. So if in one program I don't need certain pre-reqs, I assume I wouldn't need them for the same program at a different school. But that's not the case. However, your school should have made sure you were prepared for a course that required specific training. They might have made you take a foundation course so that you were on par with what they felt students should know. Regardless, there are lots of times in grad school where I have been in a class and had to teach myself what we were covering. (Takes me back to multivariate statistics). It's one of the hardest parts about the experience, if you don't know what's going on and don't have the background knowledge, then you're up the creek without a paddle, and have to learn it outside on your own!

yeah i see now. the exact same class can be taught in an extremely different way.

Half the class is entirely lost and the other half understood so little they don't even know they're lost. Teaching yourself stuff that you simply didn't know in undergrad is HARD.

yeah i see now. the exact same class can be taught in an extremely different way.

Half the class is entirely lost and the other half understood so little they don't even know they're lost. Teaching yourself stuff that you simply didn't know in undergrad is HARD.

Have you tried telling the instructor that you're not following the class? The instructor is obviously making incorrect assumptions about what you all know and don't know and if you don't correct these assumptions then you'll just get further and further behind. Often enough just making it clear will take care of the problem - the instructor might slow down or go back to materials that were not clear, or simply refer you to study guides and explain what background they are assuming. Any of those would be preferable to the current situation of being lost without hope. You should organize a group that can approach the instructor, or if you're scared or ashamed (which you shouldn't be!) then seek out a student representative from your program who is not in the class, or the DGS. Don't let the problem worsen without trying to solve it.

Have you tried telling the instructor that you're not following the class? The instructor is obviously making incorrect assumptions about what you all know and don't know and if you don't correct these assumptions then you'll just get further and further behind. Often enough just making it clear will take care of the problem - the instructor might slow down or go back to materials that were not clear, or simply refer you to study guides and explain what background they are assuming. Any of those would be preferable to the current situation of being lost without hope. You should organize a group that can approach the instructor, or if you're scared or ashamed (which you shouldn't be!) then seek out a student representative from your program who is not in the class, or the DGS. Don't let the problem worsen without trying to solve it.

Its like this... the homework is completely detached from what the lectures are.

I tried asking. I asked "can you go over more specific examples of how to solve the homework problems step by step, I really don't understand how to go from the theory you provided here, to doing the homework."

He just told me "oh. these problems. Um, you should talk to the TA about them. I'll try to do more specific examples in class." And instead of actually doing specific examples, he reads from the book. Another student asked him and said "I'm having difficulty on problem ____", and he literally says "oh, yeah, that's a hard problem." and doesn't answer! His English as well as handwriting is hard to understand.

I ask the T.A. and he says "Your book has tens of example problems there should be one that's similar." I said no I couldn't find any. He says "you might not be looking hard enough or maybe the example is there just in a form you don't recognize." They just don't do an example problem in class so that we all know how to do stuff step by step.

Edited by SymmetryOfImperfection