Yale

GenevaLing

I think the medical and basic science PhDs at Yale receive 28-29k/year fellowships. From the results posts, the humanities and arts consistently get a few grand lower per year. The PhD Economics people get 35k a year!!!

Speaking of holding external fellowships, will we be allowed to hold a significant (say, >20k/year) external fellowship while also holding the university fellowship, tuition remission, etc.?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of holding external fellowships, will we be allowed to hold a significant (say, >20k/year) external fellowship while also holding the university fellowship, tuition remission, etc.?

Different departments might have slightly different procedures, but the answer is almost certainly no. BBS adds 4k a year to your stipend if you bring in an external fellowship. Every other school I looked at does that same thing, although the amount they added to your stipend varied a little bit.

For example, the NSF fellowship stipend is 30k a year. I won't get almost 60k a year if I get it though; Yale will bump up my stipend from ~29k to ~33k. (Note that there is almost a 0% chance I'll get it, especially this year :D). Your department might add a little more or less, but I have never heard of someone getting a double stipend.

this is interesting news! i'm also going to be applying for extra funding (24k), though like mmpottiehill i now realise that even if i did potentially win that extra scholarship, 50k would be too good to be true, darn! i guess it's fair that these values are adjusted, though i keep thinking that with only two years of 50k, i could pay off some debt, kill my old student loan, save up some money... sigh ;)

Congratulations everyone for getting in.

I just received my admission note yesterday and am realy excited about it. Still not a 100 % sure if I'll go tho, as I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other places.

Congrats to everyone out there who got in.

I recently accepted Yale's offer in the Epidemiology and Public Health program.

Regarding funding, I've read that the stipends range from $25k-$29k, depending on department. I was offered the National Cancer Institute (NCI) fellowship which gives me a $28.5k/yr stipend + 4 years guaranteed funding of tuition (most folks in the NCI program graduate in 4 years, especially coming in with a master degree) with possibility of 5th year if I go that long.

on housing:

did everyone sign up for Elm Campus Partners housing yet? if you haven't and you're interested in the yale-owned properties, then sign up! http://www.elmcampus.com/

they are running some apartment viewings this week (monday and wednesday i think?) and for those of us unable to attend in person, they send info. via email and put people in some kind of a queue. apparently there's no benefit in being there in person, the queue is actually set up based on order of website registration. i registered on their website a while back after hearing from yale and yesterday got a list of properties to rate according to preference. i'm mostly interested in cheaper one-bedroom flats with leases starting in july, but they also had a small range of options for june and august entries. you need to register and send in your preferences by tuesday morning it seems, so hurry!

on housing:

did everyone sign up for Elm Campus Partners housing yet? if you haven't and you're interested in the yale-owned properties, then sign up! http://www.elmcampus.com/

they are running some apartment viewings this week (monday and wednesday i think?) and for those of us unable to attend in person, they send info. via email and put people in some kind of a queue. apparently there's no benefit in being there in person, the queue is actually set up based on order of website registration. i registered on their website a while back after hearing from yale and yesterday got a list of properties to rate according to preference. i'm mostly interested in cheaper one-bedroom flats with leases starting in july, but they also had a small range of options for june and august entries. you need to register and send in your preferences by tuesday morning it seems, so hurry!

Cool, I definitely registered as it looks like there are some nice looking apartments there. Seems kind of pricey, though. I'm guessing that most places in New Haven don't include heat/hot water it looks like. Yikes, that's all extra cost I have to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm visiting Yale this weekend for the International Relations students open house, then it's a quick jaunt to DC to check out my other schools. Yale is high on my list because of its small size, apparently stellar employment rate, and ability to facilitate any future PhD dreams I have.

I just accepted Yale's offer and I'm so excited!! Let obsessive apartment hunting commence tomorrow.

Let this also be a standing declaration that I'm looking for a roommate or two (I'm a guy, but I can live with anyone). I'm looking for something cute and reasonable north of campus; I will probably want to move in sometime in June, but if you aren't going to be in New Haven until the fall, we can work something out. E-mail me (hit the email button) and I'll be sure to get back to you. Let's coordinate our searches, people!

--Eric

Hello everyone, and congrats!

I'll be starting a Ph.D. in the Religious Studies department (with the apparently standard $25,500 humanities package, which is much more than I ever would have expected). Just got back from visiting this week and, coming off a year away from school, I'm *stoked* about getting started. Everyone I talked to made the program sound awesome, or at least faked it well enough ;)

For the inevitable housing odyssey, I figured out at least that I don't want to live in HGS or one of the Yale-owned apartments (they seem overpriced), so I'll be hitting up Craigslist and looking for a place in the East Rock area most likely. I think a yearlong lease starting June or July would work nicely so that I wouldn't need to be searching for something when school is starting. It occurred to me that one could probably get a better deal by finding roommates prior to hitting up Craigslist, so that we could look for a 2-4 bedroom place together (for those of us who like having roommates, anyway). Anyone know if there is a dedicated housing forum for incoming Yale grads? Or if not, can we make this one? (to the above poster: check your inbox). For my part, I'm a single male, 25, non-smoker, enjoy living with pets although i don't have any to call my own. I'd prefer to have a roommate or three (any gender), and am thinking East Rock, although Downtown could also work. If my little scheme sounds interesting to anyone else here, drop me a message.

Cheers,

Dan

Any hockey fans out there? I'll definitely be looking for someone to hit up the hockey games with once school rolls around. I was a big fan of hockey at my undergrad (Boston University), and if you've never been to a college game before, you're in for a treat. I've heard Ingalls Arena is fantastic, too. One of those old classic hockey barns :)

Any hockey fans out there? I'll definitely be looking for someone to hit up the hockey games with once school rolls around. I was a big fan of hockey at my undergrad (Boston University), and if you've never been to a college game before, you're in for a treat. I've heard Ingalls Arena is fantastic, too. One of those old classic hockey barns :)

For my interview weekend, we went and saw Yale literally and figuratively beat Dartmouth. In the closing seconds, Dartmouth pulled their goalie to try to overcome a 2-1 deficit, only to have Yale break away and hit the open net. Of course a fight then ensued. It was great seeing how pumped everyone was, especially coming from a school with waning basketball and mediocre football. Now I just have to start following hockey and fencing! :D

Cogneuro and Calvin: I'm definitely excited about going for school! Obviously, the hockey will be something of a step down from BU hockey, but hockey is hockey, and free tickets sound good to me!

I'll definitely be going to as many games as I can, and look forward to supporting the new team.

Calvin: That game on Saturday had me nearly wetting myself 5 times over. I couldn't believe the last minute and when Cohen just popped that puck into the net on the weird bounce... it felt very much like when the Avalanche won the Stanley Cups in 96 and 01.

Hi Cavedan & new folks-

Check out the varied rental listings and search engines at http://www.yale.edu/livingnh/community/rental.html

It's basically everything in the NH area- way beyond craigs list.

ALso, Yale has an offcampus listing service where you can search for apts AND for Yale roomies

www.yale.edu/offcampuslisting

Visit in May-June to inspect the places you're interested in before signing a lease, please!

i'm likely yale-bound!

also, any ideas about cross-departmental socializing? like, is there a central hanging-out spot for the grad crowd?

Hey art & other New grad students-

Yes there are several grad student hangouts on campus to meet people who are NOT in your dept-

The McDougal Grad Center at HGS- coffee bar, events, happy hours, workshops, etc

http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/mcdougal/index.html

The GPSCY Bar & Pub- http://www.gpscy.net/

Lots of other bars, coffee places, pizza joints (mashed potato pizza @ Bar, white clam at sally's, mozzarella at modern) in town, some places on state street in the East rock neighborhood.

Hi guys! I hit the go button on Sunday and will be going to Yale! Where I'll be living is the next point of interest. If only there were better parking on campus, then the number of options would skyrocket!

What are the thoughts on biking in New Haven? Is it safe? I remember on the tour that lots of the streets were very narrow and not exactly bike accessible.

I finally decided to accept my offer from Yale. Very excited!

Now I just hope that I can get into graduate housing, otherwise I'll most likely be interested in finding a roomie for someplace in East Rock :)

All this talk about being within a bikeable area sounds all well and good except that New Haven is in New England. Oh what a joy it is to bike in the snow!

It doesn't seem that many appts are on craig's list right now. Will this pick up soon?

All this talk about being within a bikeable area sounds all well and good except that New Haven is in New England. Oh what a joy it is to bike in the snow!

It doesn't seem that many appts are on craig's list right now. Will this pick up soon?

I lived in Boston for 6 years. The only months of the year you will hate biking in are December-February. You can get away with biking in November and March, but be prepared for some erratic conditions that change by the hour.

What are the thoughts on biking in New Haven? Is it safe? I remember on the tour that lots of the streets were very narrow and not exactly bike accessible.

THere's a very active biking community in New Haven, and new bikeways being built or planned.

Lots of local rides and riders

Check out www.elmcitycycling.org

and

www.yale.edu/transportationoptions

Do wear a helmet and watch for drivers; you can take the Yale shuttle bus when the weather is bad- and you can put your bike on the Yale shuttle bus and CT transit buses (and metro north trains). :)

See you in August!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use