Yale

GenevaLing

Any advise on how to find an apartment? Among the avenues I am exploring:

1) Yale Office of Housing off-campus housing postings

2) Craig's List (so many scams!)

3) An acquaintance in New Haven with an apt who will move out this year

4) Calling realtors (Seabury Hill?)

Current students: how much should I expect to pay for a studio within a 20 minute walking distance of campus or on a Yale shuttle with a place to park my car?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current students: how much should I expect to pay for a studio within a 20 minute walking distance of campus or on a Yale shuttle with a place to park my car?

That many scams? Please do tell.

• 1 month later...

Any folks moving out to New Haven a bit early and looking for some friends? I know my roommate and I will definitely be looking to meet some new folks! We're moving out in the middle of July. We'll be living in the middle of the main campus :)

Any folks moving out to New Haven a bit early and looking for some friends? I know my roommate and I will definitely be looking to meet some new folks! We're moving out in the middle of July. We'll be living in the middle of the main campus :)

My fiancee and I just visited and found a nice apartment in a house, right in East Rock on the shuttle line. We couldn't be happier :D

For anyone who can't visit before signing a lease: the rectangle between Whitney and State on the east/west and East Rock Park and Trumbull on the north/south is a fantastic area. Some places (and streets) are better than others, but nowhere in there was unlivable (that we saw). Just make sure you're close to a suitable Yale shuttle stop, make sure you see pictures, and Google maps streetview it! For the most part, though, you should be pretty good there as far as living conditions, price, and convenience are concerned.

I forgot to mention: we used Craigslist exclusively and were surprised how easy and nice it was. We saw a total of 5 properties before finding the perfect one for us, all found through Craigslist. We also had another two showings set up that we canceled. Besides people who owned houses privately and were renting, Craigslist also had realtor postings on it, too. We saw some from both, but none of them were terrible/rundown/horribly overpriced/etc.

As for price, in the little East Rock square, we found one and two bedrooms from about 900 to 1400, depending on the size and street. Our criteria were one off-street parking space, close to the shuttle, a little bit of yard, and a safe-feeling street.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks interested in starting up a IM softball team in the fall? Yale offers leagues in the fall, spring, and summer if you're interested :D I've captained before, so I'm more than up to doing it again!

• 1 month later...

I'm all moved in and really loving the area. Whitney is a great street to live on. Edgerton Park is a few blocks away and quite nice, and so is East Rock Park. Luckily, it hasn't been too tough to find parking in downtown and the campus area, although I'm sure it will get worse when school starts back up. For big stores (like Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc), its just a quick drive on the 91 north for a couple miles. I definitely suggest trying to find a place in the East Rock area if you haven't looked yet!

Living on Prospect St in the Science Hill-area. Moved in and liking the area quite a bit. I second cogneuro's comments, the cheap big national stores are just a short drive up the highway, and there's also a ton of stuff about 15 minutes like a Costco and Trader Joe's. Definitely pretty easy to find stuff. The downtown-area near Chapel St. is pretty neat, and there's some really neat bars, too.

Living on Chapel St a couple blocks west of the Architecture school, moving furniture in this weekend, and moving in permanently the week after that. Lord parking is a pain in downtown New Haven. I'm getting a spot at the parking garage, but, still, what outrageous prices for street parking!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use