Rotations between labs

OldGrad2012

Hi all,

My graduate program has an option of doing rotations ( about 3) five weeks in each lab to find out if the lab is fit for you. It is optional but I find that I need to do rotations in order to get to know my potential mentor and get along with him or her. Does any of your program require rotations. If at the end of my rotation which is what I am doing now, I find I do not like this lab. So how do I tell my current PI that I want to move on to another rotation? Do I not tell them at all and just start another rotation. Is there a two weeks notice like a job when you want to move on to different lab? Does anyone in the same situation as me?

My program required at least 2 rotations before you can commit to any lab. Doing rotations is good, like you mentioned, you can find out more about the lab and the PI. If you feel the lab is not for you, you can simply mention that you want to explore more options before making the final decision, and you don't necessarily have to say that you don't like them. Most PIs will understand and won't hold that against you.

@Tall Chai Latte

What is the best way to say this? By email or confront the PIs in person? I feel it's better to just sent the PIs an email mentioning that I want to "explore more options" like you said above. So do I need to give the PI two weeks notice?

Well, you are not really committed to the PI. While there's no need to be as formal as a two weeks notice, you do need to tell them that your rotation is coming to an end, that's when you bring it up politely. I suppose they should know when the rotation end? When it does, just send the PI an email thanking him/her giving you this opportunity to work with him/her and the lab, but you would like to experience more labs before officially commit to any one of them. Try not to burn bridges, because you never know how will your future rotations turn out.

I am required to do one rotation. I am staying in the lab I am rotating in. What i think you can do is gently remind them that your rotation will be up soon. Professors kind of know that you might want to rotate and have a very well rounded opinion before you choose a lab.