"Early Application"?

MSDubbs

Hey All,

This is probably somewhat of a stupid question, but I'm wondering what schools mean when they have an 'early application' deadline and a regular deadline. I want to apply as early as possible and think it would be good to have applications in by that early application deadline, but I'm wondering if it just means a difference between which pool of applicants your application falls in, or if it's something binding like undergrad 'early decision' applications are.

Does it depend on the institution?

Thanks for any guidance =)

To my knowledge, it's more about being in an early applicant pool. Early application admission decisions aren't binding, and I know at least some schools will provide complete financial aid info with the decision (UChicago comes to mind, for obvious reasons). The one disadvantage is that you may have to give them a decision before you've heard back from schools with later deadlines - but to be honest, that happened to me anyway since some schools notify very late in the spring. I say go for it and apply early, particularly if it's a school you're really interested in.

MSW hopeful is right. The gist of it is: if you apply by the early deadline, you have a greater chance of getting in because of rolling admissions, so there are less people who have applied at that point and competing for your spot. But if you are accepted on early admissions, you are in no way bound to go to the school. In fact you should apply to EVERYWHERE's early application deadline to highly improve your chances (and, well, just make the waiting game a lot less long and annoying.)

MSW hopeful is right. The gist of it is: if you apply by the early deadline, you have a greater chance of getting in because of rolling admissions, so there are less people who have applied at that point and competing for your spot. But if you are accepted on early admissions, you are in no way bound to go to the school. In fact you should apply to EVERYWHERE's early application deadline to highly improve your chances (and, well, just make the waiting game a lot less long and annoying.)

That makes sense. Thanks!!