MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Hey, did you happen to recieve another email from McGill regarding the MPH? I posted earlier about being rejected, based on it saying refused under my status on the website (I hadnt gotten any emails). Then I received an email apologizing because they might have sent out a letter of refusal and it was a mistake and they have placed me on the waiting list. I wonder if this has happened to other people too...very confusing and I don't know what to expect from them anymore.

We are in the same boat again ;)

SFU MPH's Program - Advice from a Graduating Student

For anyone trying to decide between SFU and another university, I am a current student at SFU (population health stream), and this is my last term.  If you have your heart set on going to SFU, or that's your only offer, I do not recommend reading my post.

If you have other offers, I would suggest considering those universities.  I've REALLY disliked my graduate education at SFU; in fact, it feels like undergrad.  Most of the students would concur that they treat us like children (some would say infants).  Even students who did their undergrad at SFU complain about the grad program. The class sizes are huge.  801,802,803,845 (all required courses for all streams) have class sizes over 50 (up to 70). They admit a lot of students because they want the money (i.e., it's become a degree mill). And I've had more classes taught by sessional instructors (most of whom were terrible) than by tenure-track faculty.  So getting reference letters for jobs, etc. is very difficult.  Most students also complain about the supervision they get (most profs aren't on campus), and everyone has to have a supervisor.  Also, courses 900 and 901 are a complete waste of time (and they occupy every Wednesday from noon to 5 p.m., but it's another way they can make some money).  Also, most of the core courses have a lecture and a tutorial on separate days, so in your first year, if you only do two core courses, and 900/901, you should expect to be on campus 5 days a week (and SFU is not an easy campus to get to, and yes, it's really, really ugly and dreary in the winter).  Also, SFU doesn't have a lot of course offerings.  Students often do courses at UBC or UVic (distance) etc. through the Western Deans' Agreement. Some of the sessional instructors this term have been so bad that students have created petitions, etc.  The Faculty always has these sit-down meetings with students, but nothing ever comes of it.  So previous students have tried to improve things, but the Faculty completely disregards everything we say with excuse after excuse.  If you don't believe me, look at some of these reports produced by the SFU's Faculty of Graduate Studies (the FHS - HSCI - was generally rated the lowest of all the faculties by its students).  Also, keep in mind that this report was produced before they opened the flood gates to huge classes.  My cohort - 2011 - was the first big (50+) cohort.  So things have gotten worse.  And that whole accreditation thing: that only means that SFU agrees to teach certain courses and to cover certain content in those courses; it has NOTHING to do with quality.

I truly do not enjoy telling you this because it also degrades the value of my degree, but I wish I had someone tell me this before I went there.  BTW, UBC does have a great international reputation, and it classes are limited to 25 (many classes actually have class sizes much less), and most classes are taught by tenured faculty.  And UBC is cheaper and so are some other universities so don't let a few thousand dollar scholarship sway you into going to SFU.  There are TAs opportunities available at SFU, but they are a lot of work for the pay.

If you have other options, please consider them.

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/dean-gradstudies/admin/staff/memos/Grad%20Student%20Exit%20Survey-%20Faculty%20Version.pdf

https://www.vancouver.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/blog/programprofiles/student-survey-reports.html

Im getting really nervous about this for U of Ts Epi program. Supposedly the class size has greatly increased/doubled? this year and is becoming (what sounds like this experience at SFU). 

Can any U of T insiders comment?

You guys should leave class size issue. Focus on the certificate you are going to get. If you could make it through the undergraduates, then this one wont be an issue. From last years forum, someone wrote a similar thing concerning U of T.  But in my opinion it doesn't matter. Class size or not, if you are determined to make it through the graduate school, u will. For crying out loud, SFU is accredited my CEPH, most schools are not.. I really wish I got an acceptance from SFU. Despite the class size, some people are still enjoying the program. Life is what you make out of it! :)

You make a valid point Cima, however whether we like it or not, graduate school learning (and school in general) can be greatly impeded by large class size. One of the values of grad school is intimate learning environments, debate, discussion and a unique experience that is 'applied' or real world. Its an inevitability that larger class sizes lose this edge, and thus put grad students at a potential disadvantage. You are 100% right about making the best of it though! Life IS what you make of it. Keep that attitude, you will go far :)

Good morning all, I'm late to join this forum but I've been reading it for a couple months.

It has been nerve wracking and anxiety inducing to say the least!

U of A (health promotion distance) sent me an email on March 25th and put me on a wait list, then they emailed me yesterday to tell me that ALL of the spots had been filled and unfortunately there is no space for me.

I have heard absolutely nothing from U of T and that's worrisome - especially since I've been reading that some of you have gotten invites to an open house :( My online status still says Under Review.  But it also seems like several of you are also in the same boat as me.

Best of luck to everyone, keep us all updated, and Congratulations to everyone who's off to the MPH programs in the fall! :)

Can anyone provide insight on USask mph program?? Class sizes especially?
Never mind lol. Found it on their website. Cap is 15-25 for Epi and 40 for health promotion. The intensive 2 weeks summer course has a cap at 100 though! Sweet ✌

Emailed UAlberta this morning and got a really kind reply lol. All admission statuses - final acceptances, waitlists and rejections will all be made by April 30th!! So 19 MORE days to wait!! Goodluck to everyone waiting

We are in the same boat again ;)

Lol what a mistake for them to make...May 1st is also such bad timing, I have to reply to Queens by April 30th. Have you gotten in elsewhere?

Has anyone received a rejection from UofT Health Promotion? I have heard absolutely nothing from them. 

Hi Loren26, I would potentially suggest emailing Charlotte Lombardo (Program Director for MPH Health Promotion).  I emailed her last week and she replied the next day telling me I was wait listed, then I received an official email from Sandra Lang yesterday, confirming that I was wait listed and that there were "at least 15 people ranked ahead of me".

I'm sure she'd reply and let you know of your status.  Hope that helps!

Hi guys,

I realize I am late on joining this thread but I applied to MPH at UofT (OEH), Waterloo (Epi), McGill, Queens, and UofA.

I had an interview for MPH UofT(OEH) in Febuary and got accepted in early March.

I got rejected from Queens and McGill and I haven't heard anything about UofA or Waterloo.

Ana

Hi Ana,

Would you mind sharing when you received the rejection from Queens?

& Congrats on UofT!

Would anyone who got an offer from Waterloo be able to say when they have to accept the offer by? Thanks in advance!!

Hi - Have you been accepted into the Waterloo MPH Program? I have been wait listed and trying to guage how many applicants are on a wait list with myself.

Hi Loren26, I would potentially suggest emailing Charlotte Lombardo (Program Director for MPH Health Promotion).  I emailed her last week and she replied the next day telling me I was wait listed, then I received an official email from Sandra Lang yesterday, confirming that I was wait listed and that there were "at least 15 people ranked ahead of me".

I'm sure she'd reply and let you know of your status.  Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. Oddly, I sent her an e-mail 2 days ago and she hasn't gotten back to me... I'm considering calling but might give her one more day to reply.