MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

I also heard back from Mac, got into their Master of Science in Global Health program. The deadline to accept is May 23rd but i'll be rejecting before then to attend UofT. Good luck :)!!

Has anyone heard back from UWO for Epi?

I didnt hear from the actual department but a professor emailed me saying that he viewed my application and would like to discuss a potential project over the phone or in person.

Dear All,

I was applied to Guelph and up till now they are requesting more documents for me and they promised me i should hear from them within 2 weeks, do anybody have an idea about how they are doing the selection???

i asked them but they didnot explain the mechansim to me !!!!

Has anyone heard back from UWO for Epi?

I also was contacted by a prof to discuss a potential project. No firm acceptance from the department though. It seems like they are just starting to go through the applications, so I wouldn't lose hope. Let us know if you hear anything as well.

I also was contacted by a prof to discuss a potential project. No firm acceptance from the department though. It seems like they are just starting to go through the applications, so I wouldn't lose hope. Let us know if you hear anything as well.

Hi Iv27,

Yes a prof contacted me as well yesterday. Thanks for keeping me posted. Which prof are you in touch with if I can ask? Send me a private message!

Uvic sent me an email recently asking me to continue to be patient. All MPH applicants will know their status near end of May.

I hope I get in, after all these months of anxious waiting!

Dear all,

I applied to Guelph and they are still review my application , is it normal or exceptional ,I think they notified some of the applicants already !!!!

does anybody know how they select the people ???

thanks

Congratulations! I'm a guelph grad, and I've talked to Dr. Papadopoulos several times about the program. He is a really nice man if you have further questions. Guelph's program is only a couple years old and they only have 20 spots, so its a nice small program that is accredited. The program is a combination of arts and science, and its connected to the Ontario Veterinary College which is great for foodborne illnesses, zoonosis, infectious disease, etc etc. Its a very general program in the first year, and you get to pick your electives in second year based on what your interested in. You can also complete the program earlier if you take 4 courses for a couple terms and 1 during practicum. He said that for practicum  usually 75% are paid positions, and 25% are volunteer positions usually while sometimes the volunteer ones give you better experience.

My partner is a Masters student in Epi at Guelph and he has taken a few courses that the MPH students are required to take. The profs have all been great for him! Its definitely not an MPH/ grad factory! I may be biased but Guelph is a beautiful university town, and a lovely place to live. Everyone is very friendly, and tries very hard to help you succeed.

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them.

Dear Guelph graduate, Do you know how is the selection process ????

Dear Guelph graduate, Do you know how is the selection process ????

I am not on the admission committee, therefore I cannot give you an accurate answer on how they select people. I know that the letter of intent is very important, you need to have a B+ average in your last two years (sometimes they accept B ), and experience in public health is important. They are probably just taking a while because you have transcripts from a university outside of Canada.

You really need to contact the graduate secretary or Dr. Papadopoulos for more information about your application status.

Good luck!

Edited by guelphbiomed

I am not on the admission committee, therefore I cannot give you an accurate answer on how they select people. I know that the letter of intent is very important, you need to have a B+ average in your last two years (sometimes they accept B ), and experience in public health is important. They are probably just taking a while because you have transcripts from a university outside of Canada.

You really need to contact the graduate secretary or Dr. Papadopoulos for more information about your application status.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply,

My concern is the GPA since i have the undergraduate degree from Egypt and another degree from the states i am confused about calculating GPA, i may not approaching the B+(but close to) on my undergraduate but i did an epidemiology certificate from the USA with 4GPA so i dont know if they are strict about B+ , plus i have 15 years of experience in disease surveillance and outbreak response.

Thanks again

In my limited knowledge on the topic, I believe it means you are most likely in. From what I understand, the department first recommends its selected students to the graduate program of the university, who then looks over your student records to ensure you meet their criteria, and unless there something unusual missing, you are in.

thanksss alot...it makes my day.... 

Accepted to MSc Global Health at McMaster! Received an email today! Will be attending in September.

Hey there!  I was accepted to McMaster's M.Sc Global Health program too :)  I'm so happy!  My first choice was U of T for Health Promotion but I'm on the wait list .. and don't really know if I'll get off of it, so I'm going to accept McMaster

Hi all!

I applied to and was accepted by McGill in the MPH program on April 11th. I'm still waiting on the final approval from GPS (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies). The long wait time apparently has to do with the new online application system. I was told that I should recieve final word this week and that I would have a new deposti date, as it was orignally May 15th.

Anyone else attending McGill? Congrats to all who were offered admission!

Hey there!  I was accepted to McMaster's M.Sc Global Health program too :)  I'm so happy!  My first choice was U of T for Health Promotion but I'm on the wait list .. and don't really know if I'll get off of it, so I'm going to accept McMaster

Wow Congrats Carolyn. Am soo happy for you. :)

Hi everyone,

This question is for any current UofT MPH students (preferably health promo). This is the only active forum and hopefully someone will see this!

What is the workload like? I've been looking at timetables and it seems that there will only be about 9 hours of class in 1st semester. Is it similar to undergrad with the amount of studying outside the classroom?

The reason I ask is ultimately because I want to get a job while at school and I'm worried I won't have time.

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I applied to dimloma in global health in SFU but havnt heard anything from them yet. This wait is killing me...have anyone heard from them yet ?

Hello everyone, I applied to dimloma in global health in SFU but havnt heard anything from them yet. This wait is killing me...have anyone heard from them yet ?

they take a lotta time to send out offer letters!

its very competitive as well!

did u apply ne where as well?

as yu are from india ( same here ) they take a lotta time in checking our transcripts!

so keep heart!

i am going for mph sfu, mph guelph!

i am a mbbs doct!