2012 MFA students: logistics?

Onedayx3

I am applying again this year. So after going through the whole process on this forum last year, I would really like to know what it's like for those starting their fall semester as an MFA student. What did you decide on housing? How much are your expenses/ expenses in consideration with aid from school or wherever? And is anyone is doing their MFA with a child/ family? Anyone blogging about their MFA?

I just started this semester at Kendall College of Art + Design in Michigan for the painting mfa program. so far so good, although it seems a bit more of a conceptual based program with everyone doing representational work, hah. maybe things will change in the future where more emphasis is put on paint handling. I live right outside of the downtown which is being compensated by my loan. There are two new students doing it with families and they're living 20-30 min. outside of the city. I hope to start a blog soon about my progression through the program, in which case I will give you the link. Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

UCSB has good family housing that is close to the graduate studios along with an on campus child care center for students. I'm not blogging about my MFA per-se...but I blog in general about what I'm doing in art. I'm a current grad at UCSB, ask me anything you want.

UCSB is on my list, though everyone I know is negative about CA being a possibility. The most common complaint is cost of living. Most schools I looked at the more economical apartments would be around 15 - 20 minutes out. Though living closer to campus for the convenience factor is very appealing. Curious12345, do the grad students get TA opportunities? If you TA, do you still have to take out supplemental loans for living expenses, or do most grads work part time as well? A visiting artist (from Temple), suggested to me to aim your loan amount from 35-50, because it will be like an extra car payment later. Are you willing to share your link?

UCSB is on my list, though everyone I know is negative about CA being a possibility. The most common complaint is cost of living. Most schools I looked at the more economical apartments would be around 15 - 20 minutes out. Though living closer to campus for the convenience factor is very appealing. Curious12345, do the grad students get TA opportunities? If you TA, do you still have to take out supplemental loans for living expenses, or do most grads work part time as well? A visiting artist (from Temple), suggested to me to aim your loan amount from 35-50, because it will be like an extra car payment later. Are you willing to share your link?

Yes, there are plenty of TA opportunities, as every school will tell you though, nothing is guaranteed. None of the grads work besides TAing...so that should tell you something.

Family housing is great, its like a 10 min WALK to campus, I can see the studios from my front porch and the rent is super cheap. I live in the best one you can get, 2 story, 2 bedroom, and its only $1200 a month including ALL utilities and everything.