Reference letters: should I get it from a professor or from a former employer?

outliers1

I'm applying to masters programs in stats and biostats in Canada for Fall 2013. I got my bachelors 4 years ago and went straight into the workforce at that time. Currently, I am actually working in a pharma company as a full time SAS programmer.

I was just wondering, in the eyes of the admissions committee, would a good reference from a former prof carry more weight or would one from my employer carry more?

For my 3 letters which I need to submit, should I do 2 profs + 1 employer; or 1 prof + 2 from current / former employers?

Thanks

More profs is preferred in pretty much every application except possibly to business schools. Look at older threads in this forum about what your reference letters should speak to as well. I think this has come up several times in the last couple weeks.

Reference from professors would obviously carry more weight, but between an outstanding recommendation from employer versus a lukewarm recommendation from a professor, I would choose the former. I think for Master's programs they are more lenient with regard to accepting recommendations from employers.

FYI, I didn't develop any relationships with professors during my undergrad, so I had to rely mainly on employer recs when I was applying to Master's programs. I had 1 prof recommendation and 2 employer recommendations, and got into Columbia stats for masters.

Given that you work at a pharma company, I am guessing most of your managers will have PhD's in Stats/Biostats/Sciences? I think they will be fine.

Bottom line - no need to worry about it too much. Best of luck in the process