How am I looking for Boston College STM?

Seatbelt Blue

Hey there.

I'm applying to a few different Theology master's programs. I applied and was accepted at Seton Hall, but I had to defer for financial reasons, so I'm taking the opportunity to apply elsewhere. I have an application pending at Fordham, but my first choice is Boston College.

Here's my deal. I was not a stellar student my first couple years of undergrad, and I ended up on academic suspension for a year; mostly, I stopped going to class. I was a dumb kid. I spent the next three dragging my GPA out of the muck, and graduated with a 2.7. My major GPA is a 3.4. On the GRE, I nabbed a 170/170 Verbal, 151/170 Quantitative, and 5.5 written. My letters of recommendation are blindingly glowing.

Additionally, after graduation, I did a year at seminary before leaving, where I nabbed a 4.0.

I've struck up a decent rapport with the associate admissions director at BC, and I'm planning on visiting next month so I can establish a personal connection.

Do I have a shot?

Edited by seatbeltblue

Absolutely. You have demonstrated that you picked yourself up and you even got near perfect GRE scores (170 verbal is unbelievable). Your last GPA is what matters the most and you've demonstrated the ability to pick yourself up significantly. You should most definitely apply.

Which degree? I was told they are letting in fewer students these days, than say a couple years ago (when I started there), but I'm sure as long as your SOP isn't complete garbage you will get in.

I have come to find out that certain schools have infinitely more M* degree seeking students than others. For instance EVERYONE here at Duke (in the Divinity school, of course) is getting an MDiv; whereas at BC MANY more people were getting an MTS. I imagine this may have to do with the clergy being only male, plus they offer an MA in pastoral ministry (although I did know some women MDivs, just not nearly as many as men). So who knows. I was told that BC's MDiv is actually more selective than their MTS, which seems counter to what is usually said on this forum. I actually knew two (women) at BC who tried to switch from the MTS to the MDiv and were denied. From what I understand they are fairly serious about the minimum one year of service requirement for incoming MDivs.

In short, if you apply to the MTS you stand a good chance.

cheers

Edited by jdmhotness

I'm not sure what you mean by SOP.

Beyond that, thanks to both of you for your responses. I've been feeling really optimistic about my chances, but I wanted to get some outside opinions because it's possible I'm quite delusional. Anyway, yes, I'm applying for the MTS because I'm not sure I need all the pastoral courses, although I could see them being helpful. My career goal is basically, in an ideal world, to be a research professor, but absent that, I'm going to try to teach at the high school or parish catechetical level. I could always do a pastoral certificate later if necessary, but my focus is non-terminal, doctoral track academic theology.

But hey, if I don't get in, I'm already accepted at Seton Hall, so woo.

Explain your undergrad GPA struggle in your SOP (don't dwell too much on it, just explain it in passing, in a sense), and you should be fine. With such STELLAR GRE scores, you're bound to raise an eyebrow here and there (in all honesty, my jaw dropped when I saw the verbal/written). Wow! And as you said, your LOR's are awesome... so there's a slight chance they might deny acceptance bc of the GPA, but I highly, highly doubt it. Unless... of course, you prove to be an unfit... fit!

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know how many slots BC STM has this year? Or how many people they usually admit per year as a percentage of their applicants? I can't find any numbers beyond how many people are in the program total.