Linguistics Work Load

phonology_rocks

To be clear I don't mean to say that ANY graduate program is easy, because I am sure they are not....

but my roommate (who may I add, is very nice) is in a professional terminal program (meaning can work with a good paying job after) and I am a linguistics MA student who like most people will be going back to school after finishing my current program....

Shes goes home every weekend to see her boyfriend which is only two hours away....she NEVER brings her text books.....

I do work NON stop, and I mean literally none stop. I go to class, am assisting a TA, leading a few other activities (all related to an RA position I will have next year and my current funding), work out (but we are talking like an hour a day or less) and study....

Granted I am really far away form my bf who will be here next year, but the point is, that is 11 months away.....Anyways I guess what I am saying is I am jealous.....a little because shes near hers, and I didn't have the choice to be near mine (and she talks about home and him 24/7 which isn't helping me miss mine any less oh and also they have been together for a few months vs. my two year relationship)....

anyways what more of the jealousy is her work...how the heck she can have more credits then me, and only do her homework 3 nights a week) she leaves fridays and comes back monday's....

But is working this hard normal? I am trying to do every reading, problem set, everything I really want to do well, but maybe I need to come up with a better system? my classmates don't get it because most of them are non native english speakers, and the only one I really have to compare too is my roomate so I figured it was worth asking the question to see your thoughts

There are relevant threads in the grads forums you should look up. Basically my two main thoughts are these:

(1) The job will take from you everything that you give it. If you devote your entire day to studying, that's what your life will look like. You need to ACTIVELY schedule your other important activities - including (if necessary) sleep, work-out time, household activities time, hobbies, friends, relaxation. It can be hard to keep to a work-day like schedule - at the very least there will be some times when you have to work longer hours before deadlines - but barring that I think it's important to have at least one day off, if not more. You're not necessarily more productive if you spend more time at the office.

(2) You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, possibly do all the required readings and assignments in graduate school. You need to start to prioritize. Some readings need to go undone; some assignments need to be done just-well-enough but not perfectly. Concentrate on doing a good job when it matters and on the projects that are relevant to your future career. If you're a phonologist with no aspirations to become a theoretical semanticist, then it won't hurt if you write a shorter paper or spend less time on the assignments in that course. Do a good job in presentations and published papers, and do the work that will lead you there well. Other things need to be prioritized lower and treated accordingly.

As for the comparison with professional programs, I can't help much except to point out that it's probably not a fair comparison and that even if it was, it wouldn't be useful. I think you'd benefit more from just doing a better job taking care of yourself and being mindful of how you invest your time.

thanks, that is probably good advice about the required readings esepcially....also about the schedule....i'll try to do that, all I have really scheduled so far is the workout times...

Its also a good point about the comparison between a professional program and mine....I shouldn't worry about it....I guess what I miss about undergrad is the 'life' part...I was a varsity athlete and I miss that too, so now I have to focus on what is important...well keeping myself sane..thanks! I'll take your advice on both accounts!

Guest Gnome Chomsky

To be fair, I was a math and physics major before switching over to linguistics, and my math and physics friends make fun of linguistics for being so easy.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

And you're telling us this because ... ?

Well, it seemed like she was questioning whether her friend's program was too easy. She admits she's jealous that her friend only studies 3 nights a week and gets to see her boyfriend every weekend. I don't get it. Some people don't need to work as hard to get the same results; some people just feel the need to be as prepared as they possibly can. I don't see what this has to do with the possible lack of difficulty of her friend's program.

There are 4 possibilities: 1) your friend doesn't work as hard and she doesn't do as well in her program; 2) your friend doesn't need to work as hard as you to achieve the same results; 3) your friend works harder than she lets on; or 4) your friend's program is easy.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Sorry I didn't mean to cause any controversy I asked about the linguistics workload, and was using the fact that shes in a professional program as a comparative point. Although as it has been pointed out to me, its not a fair comparison, her only studying three nights a week is the reason I asked the question. If it wasn't for that, I'd be much less likely to have asked the question in the first place.....

The boyfriend thing isn't related either, but the fact she goes home without her textbook is....again sorry as fuzzylogician pointed out, i just met to ask about my workload. It was never the difficulty of it, I don't think its hard, its just a lot....but I am following the advice i've been given.....which will make a difference....