PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

My track was Hebrew Bible. I had heard that about 40 people applied to the HB track in NELC/Divinity School combined and of those 40, only 3-4 were "admissible". I know nothing more than that and that "fact" came to me through a reliable source.

So how did you get to know that you are rejected? (I mean, that you are not one of those 3-4 people.) I'm applying to both programs and I'm wondering if they have already sent out acceptances. I'm leaning towards "yes" since it's pretty late now for Chicago. 

Thanks!

Edited by la sarar

So how did you get to know that you are rejected? (I mean, that you are not one of those 3-4 people.) I'm applying to both programs and I'm wondering if they have already sent out acceptances. I'm leaning towards "yes" since it's pretty late now for Chicago. 

Thanks!

I received an e-mail from the Dean at the Divinity School today at 6:00 pm. I have had no word from the NELC.

I received an e-mail from the Dean at the Divinity School today at 6:00 pm. I have had no word from the NELC.

I got absolutely nothing from nowhere and i'm freaking out. 

6:00 pm on Friday, that seems to be a generic email or at least not a one-to-one email. How come I don't have any decision notification...what's going on???

That would be me! No e-mail or anything yet; I just randomly checked the website and it had a decision posted with a link to a form letter saying that I'd been accepted and more info would be forthcoming. Sorry, no info beyond that, but I'd recommend checking your online app status. And it's always possible that different programs are posting notifications at different times, so take this with a grain of salt.

Congrats on the acceptance. 

I'm assuming your page looks like this: "APPLICATION STATUS: ACCEPTED" All mine says is "APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED"

then below that it says "APPLICATION STATUS: Incomplete," but I don't know what that means. I turned everything in and all my recommendations are there . . . ???

Ah, I didn't expect an acceptance at UVa anyway, but still I wish I knew something.

My e-mail for the wait list came from the Dean at 7:30 tonight. It seems a little sporadic. If you haven't heard, I wouldn't assume anything either way yet! I mean, I don't see a ton of acceptances posted so maybe they are still coming!

If anyone has any info on how long the Religious Ethics program's wait list is or how many they admit, I'd be grateful to hear :)

My e-mail for the wait list came from the Dean at 7:30 tonight. It seems a little sporadic. If you haven't heard, I wouldn't assume anything either way yet! I mean, I don't see a ton of acceptances posted so maybe they are still coming!

If anyone has any info on how long the Religious Ethics program's wait list is or how many they admit, I'd be grateful to hear :)

Did you have an interview?

Did you have an interview?

I was never invited for any sort of formal interview. I did visit the school before I applied for the program to get a sense of whether or not it would be a good fit. At that time I was able to meet with faculty members.

I heard that U of Chicago Divinity School holds interviews before admission (I remember it was an NT applicant). I haven't seen more people report "interviews" though. So, only those who have been interviewed are eligible for admission? Is that so?

I was never invited for any sort of formal interview. I did visit the school before I applied for the program to get a sense of whether or not it would be a good fit. At that time I was able to meet with faculty members.

I see. I unfortunately didn't visit the Divinity School. And since I wasn't interviewed either, I guess they are probably not so interested in me. 

I'm assuming your page looks like this: "APPLICATION STATUS: ACCEPTED" All mine says is "APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED"

then below that it says "APPLICATION STATUS: Incomplete," but I don't know what that means. I turned everything in and all my recommendations are there . . . ???

Ah, I didn't expect an acceptance at UVa anyway, but still I wish I knew something.

Check the bottom of the page. Mine says: "DECISION STATUS: AVAILABLE" with a link to the decision page. Given that I haven't even received an e-mail yet, I wouldn't say for sure that all the acceptances have been posted.

Did you by any chance have a double major? Mine said incomplete for a while because logging in a double major, to the application, looks like you attended two different schools and thus need two different transcripts. I called admissions a while back and they said that was not a problem. 

I'm losing my mind over UVA right now. Gradcafe is a blessing and a curse. 

I see. I unfortunately didn't visit the Divinity School. And since I wasn't interviewed either, I guess they are probably not so interested in me. 

Well, I personally haven't heard of anyone getting interviewed over in the Religious Ethics program, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, either. My email didn't say anything about an interview. I was only told that I will receive a form to accept or reject my wait list status, and that if a spot opens up for me, I will be offered admission (so no interview.)

I wouldn't lose all hope. I only see one acceptance to Islamic Studies posted. It's still possible they are sending out decisions later....unless you know for sure the program you applied to sent out interviews. Otherwise, I'd say it isn't over until it's over. 

Well, I personally haven't heard of anyone getting interviewed over in the Religious Ethics program, but that doesn't mean it isn't true, either. My email didn't say anything about an interview. I was only told that I will receive a form to accept or reject my wait list status, and that if a spot opens up for me, I will be offered admission (so no interview.)

I wouldn't lose all hope. I only see one acceptance to Islamic Studies posted. It's still possible they are sending out decisions later....unless you know for sure the program you applied to sent out interviews. Otherwise, I'd say it isn't over until it's over. 

Thank you for the kind words!

If I understand correctly, Bible as a whole is one program at the Div School. The interview was for New Testament and my area is Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. So it's really tricky. 

Anyway, I should know the result within a couple of days, if not hours. 

Did you by any chance have a double major? Mine said incomplete for a while because logging in a double major, to the application, looks like you attended two different schools and thus need two different transcripts. I called admissions a while back and they said that was not a problem. 

I'm losing my mind over UVA right now. Gradcafe is a blessing and a curse. 

I had the same double major problem. My sanity is seriously hanging on my a thread right now. I'm really surprised that my advisor didn't call me. He usually calls his MAs right away to tell them the news - good or bad. I realize it's the Sabbath, but the committee met last night. I applied to JCA, though, and was told that given my personal statement my application may be shuffled to the SIP pile. Both of those programs have admitted at least one person, so I'm sure a rejection would be redundant at this point. Still, it would great to know. 

To whomever found out on the website did you find out on SIS or when you logged into your application? I logged into the application and didn't find anything, but I know that Emory has a separate student website (OPUS, same interface as UVa's SIS) where you can see the status of your admission decision. I couldn't find anything like that on SIS. Any deets?

Don't worry about the 'Incomplete' thing.  Mine says the same too.  I remember a while back seeing on their website that they were having some sort of problem with that portion of the status check page.  It kept saying 'Incomplete' when the applications were actually complete.  Also, I don't have any sort of update either.  Still just says 'Submitted.'

After what EndlessAshley told us a week or so ago, we knew that the committee met yesterday, so I was somewhat expecting word out of UVA today.  Looks like you found out good news a little in advance, sogdia!  Congrats.  I applied to JCA as well, so safe to say that my chances just took a fairly dramatic plunge.  But as usual, might as well hold out hope until proven otherwise.  Also, I'm officially rooting for you to make it off the wait-list at Duke!

To whomever found out on the website did you find out on SIS or when you logged into your application? I logged into the application and didn't find anything, but I know that Emory has a separate student website (OPUS, same interface as UVa's SIS) where you can see the status of your admission decision. I couldn't find anything like that on SIS. Any deets?

It's on my application page, at the bottom.

With all the uChicago Divinity drama, has anyone heard anything from their philosophy of religions section? It's unclear to me from what's on the forums about differing timelines for subfields.

With all the uChicago Divinity drama, has anyone heard anything from their philosophy of religions section? It's unclear to me from what's on the forums about differing timelines for subfields.

I know personally of one internal applicant who was accepted to the PR section.  It seems like, at least for the internal applicants, UChicago Div sent out individual acceptances/waitlists/rejections yesterday evening, alphabetically by department (which is why there were gaps in when people were being notified - Ethics before Theology, for example).  I have no idea whether this was for all applicants, or just the internal ones.

The chances that a person gets in to Duke's NT program off the waitlist? Basically 0.

Don't worry about the 'Incomplete' thing.  Mine says the same too.  I remember a while back seeing on their website that they were having some sort of problem with that portion of the status check page.  It kept saying 'Incomplete' when the applications were actually complete.  Also, I don't have any sort of update either.  Still just says 'Submitted.'

After what EndlessAshley told us a week or so ago, we knew that the committee met yesterday, so I was somewhat expecting word out of UVA today.  Looks like you found out good news a little in advance, sogdia!  Congrats.  I applied to JCA as well, so safe to say that my chances just took a fairly dramatic plunge.  But as usual, might as well hold out hope until proven otherwise.  Also, I'm officially rooting for you to make it off the wait-list at Duke!

Congratulations! Was that you who posted on the results page? I'm just trying to get a feel for how many people they've notified already.

Yeah, I posted the Doctor of Theology result yesterday.  I accidentally posted a second acceptance to Duke under theology on the same day.  Miscommunication with cyber space.  Ignore the second acceptance.  Mea Culpa.  I hope that the moderator of this chat will go back and erase any trace of my ignorance :)

Edited by TriGeek