PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Does anyone have any insights into Emory's notification process? Why are rejections trickling out so very, very slowly?

Emory accepted their top 18 already.  They're probably waiting to hear from these candidates then they'll finish all rejections.  Either way, it's pretty safe to conclude that if you haven't been accepted already, you won't be.  Historically, one or two manage to get in off the wait list, but the wait-listers may not know until mid April.    

I'm sure I missed this, but who was it that got into the HDS ThD program in Hebrew Bible?

I didn't apply; I have a friend who got rejected. We both are doing our masters here. But one of the admitted students might be a girl who also studies here. I guess. 

Sorry but I don't. He went to Penn. His field is Jewish Studies. I thought that studying with Prof. Levenson at HDS would've been great, and Prof. Cohen at NELC, Harvard. So, I would guess---but I never asked him really--that this actually had something to do with the ThD. But I might be making things up. If you like I can ask if I could give you his contact info. But the reason for declining an offer could be pretty private, so ...

la sarar, I would very much appreciate it. I'd understand if he doesn't want to share his reasons, but if he does, I would be very thankful.

Edited by yhujikol

Thank you so much for the information. I was admitted to the ThD program, and was wondering what my fate would be. I wouldn't mind the PhD, maybe even better in some ways. Are students able to transfer from one to the other?

transferring's not an option.

Yes I applied for the New Testament program in the Department of Relogion.

I was waitlisted too, though I was emailed about it some time ago (and again today). No idea what the odds are, but I heard they invited 5 for 3 openings.

The lone Yale acceptance is interesting . . . 

I know of another person, not active on grad cafe, who was accepted to Yale American Religious History earlier this week. I applied to philosophy of religion and emailed the department on Tuesday, and haven't received a reply.

I'd be shocked with anything other than a rejection at this point. But suffice it to say that there have been others accepted.

I was waitlisted too, though I was emailed about it some time ago (and again today). No idea what the odds are, but I heard they invited 5 for 3 openings.

Interesting. Like I said, I was waitlisted and then rejected later in March. Would suck if that happened again.

la sarar, I would very much appreciate it. I'd understand if he doesn't want to share his reasons, but if he does, I would be very thankful.

i'll ask him right now!