PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

I swear I am going crazy refreshing this page and my email. Earlier in the semester when I was writing lectures all day I was fine...but now, uggg. I'm assuming I didn't get in to UT Austin, which is a shame because I felt like I would fit well, and I'm guessing if I don't hear from Toronto in the next several hours I didn't get in there either. Toronto was the last big school that I would be chomping at the bit to go to. On top of all of this I'm waiting to hear back from the Fulbright, which might not happen for several weeks yet!!! /rant

Harvard PhD . . . could you be more specific? Religious Studies? NELC?

I know the NELC admits were contacted a little while ago already, so I'm assuming the Committee for the Study of Religion PhD

I swear I am going crazy refreshing this page and my email. Earlier in the semester when I was writing lectures all day I was fine...but now, uggg. I'm assuming I didn't get in to UT Austin, which is a shame because I felt like I would fit well, and I'm guessing if I don't hear from Toronto in the next several hours I didn't get in there either. Toronto was the last big school that I would be chomping at the bit to go to. On top of all of this I'm waiting to hear back from the Fulbright, which might not happen for several weeks yet!!! /rant

I just called Austin and they "haven't sent out official responses". Has anyone heard anything from Indiana? They were the slowest to respond my last go around, but it would still be nice to know.

Their welcome weekend to newly admitted doctoral students is this weekend.

I just called Austin and they "haven't sent out official responses". Has anyone heard anything from Indiana? They were the slowest to respond my last go around, but it would still be nice to know.

This juxtaposition is very confusing.

Harvard phd sent out acceptances.

Okay, ASAP let's clear this up: "Harvard PhD sent out acceptances." What?! Harvard what??! GSAS Religion PhD? HDS has already informed applicants, and that's the ThD anyway. If the PhD acceptances are out then the most natural and mysterious question (and I know I'm not the only one asking it) is, "Why haven't I heard anything!" It can't be that... NOooooooooooooooooooo... :) But really, Nooooooooooooo. Not Accepted?!

It's not the end of the world if I don't get in, right? Right? A little reassurance anyone?!  But all I got right now is Noooooooooooooooo!!! .... and still no official word.

Waiting anxiously. Best of luck to everyone who applied! What a whirlwind, this whole freaking thing!

Yup. I know. Things don't make sense at all. But, I can only share what I know based on my interactions with the department...Last time I applied to Austin, I got my waitlist response on 2/25. So things could be moving more slowly this year for unknown reasons. 

Harvard PhD . . . could you be more specific? Religious Studies? NELC?

Harvard's GSAS Committee on the Study of Religion PhD program sent out acceptances to people YESTERDAY. I don't know about NELC. I think rejections are sent out via snail mail - which is how they have been done in the past. So, if you didn't hear already then...

Sorry, the previous posting I typed via my phone after my POI/advisor sent me an email telling me personally that I was not accepted. I was on my way to a talk/meeting. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Neem217

Yup. I know. Things don't make sense at all. But, I can only share what I know based on my interactions with the department...Last time I applied to Austin, I got my waitlist response on 2/25. So things could be moving more slowly this year for unknown reasons. 

Agreed, very confusing. I don't know what to say about the department not sending out official acceptances. Maybe not all subfields have made their decisions? I'm flying out tomorrow for ther welcome weekend (Ancient Med).

Okay, ASAP let's clear this up: "Harvard PhD sent out acceptances." What?! Harvard what??! GSAS Religion PhD? HDS has already informed applicants, and that's the ThD anyway. If the PhD acceptances are out then the most natural and mysterious question (and I know I'm not the only one asking it) is, "Why haven't I heard anything!" It can't be that... NOooooooooooooooooooo... :) But really, Nooooooooooooo. Not Accepted?!

It's not the end of the world if I don't get in, right? Right? A little reassurance anyone?!  But all I got right now is Noooooooooooooooo!!! .... and still no official word.

Waiting anxiously. Best of luck to everyone who applied! What a whirlwind, this whole freaking thing!

Not the end of the world at all!

Harvard GSAS protocol is super annoying--based on past results it looks like they communicate acceptances immediately, but then mail their rejections, which arrive a week or two later. Lame.

Agreed, very confusing. I don't know what to say about the department not sending out official acceptances. Maybe not all subfields have made their decisions? I'm flying out tomorrow for ther welcome weekend (Ancient Med).

well crap

I know the NELC admits were contacted a little while ago already, so I'm assuming the Committee for the Study of Religion PhD

boston college seems pretty awesome! 

I wanted to make a clarification in reference to Loyola Chicago's ISET program:

Perhaps the ISET program offers acceptances respectively for ethics and systematics applicants?

This is the case. They accept 4 students total. Two in systematics and two in ethics. I hope this is clarifying for some!

NELC did not contact admits, I'm afraid. Maybe there is some misunderstanding. They do have a shortlist which they have discussed with the Deans last Tuesday, but the GSAS will take another week or so to release the results. I just called and they told me that decisions will be made by Mar. 15. 

I'm not sure if they contacted anyone from the ancient field. I guess that they would only tell you that you are high on list rather than that "you are admitted". Because anything can happen with the GSAS. 

NELC did not contact admits, I'm afraid. Maybe there is some misunderstanding. They do have a shortlist which they have discussed with the Deans last Tuesday, but the GSAS will take another week or so to release the results. I just called and they told me that decisions will be made by Mar. 15. 

I'm not sure if they contacted anyone from the ancient field. I guess that they would only tell you that you are high on list rather than that "you are admitted". Because anything can happen with the GSAS. 

Just to comment on my own post:

I feel irritated that the PhD notifications would be sent out (theoretically) later than the HDS master program. Two years ago I got the admission letter on Mar. 11 and I told myself that it's typical for master programs. Now GSAS would seek to surpass the HDS (master program) in procrastination. Well maybe I'm not using the word correctly but I'm angry anyway...