PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Thanks. The wait is driving me nuts. I need a definitive answer! 

Well hopefully good things come to those who wait! :)

Did you specify how you wanted to be notified? I think I remember checking off on Fordham's application that I would prefer to be e-mailed which may be why I didn't receive a call.

Well hopefully good things come to those who wait! :)

Did you specify how you wanted to be notified? I think I remember checking off on Fordham's application that I would prefer to be e-mailed which may be why I didn't receive a call.

I don't recall, but it were an option, I probably would have picked email. I reckon it's too late in the day for Fordham to be sending out any emails now anyway. Maybe it's time I quit lurking and refreshing my email every 5 mins! 

For those that applied to UT-Austin, it looks like rejections are on the website. I checked after seeing that someone posted on the results page. Sure enough, not too surprisingly, there was the rejection.

That was the last program I was waiting to hear from. Decision time it is.

For those that applied to UT-Austin, it looks like rejections are on the website. I checked after seeing that someone posted on the results page. Sure enough, not too surprisingly, there was the rejection.

That was the last program I was waiting to hear from. Decision time it is.

Mine says "In Review"...

Turned down an offer to attend UT-Austin this morning (NT/Early Christianity). Hope this helps someone who might find it to be a better match: they are doing really great things out there.

Edited by belichick

Turned down an offer to attend UT-Austin this morning (NT/Early Christianity). Hope this helps someone who might find it to be a better match: they are doing really great things out there.

Ar you the one coming to UNC? If so, I know a ton of people in that program and they are simply awesome. 

Just declined Santa Barbara and Duke, so I hope that helps someone out there.

Would you please update us if you have an offer/waitlist spot from Harvard GSAS for the PhD? That's the only thing I'm waiting on.

One of my programs has asked me a couple times for a decision about their offer. I just received an email from them today that said it was okay if I needed more time, and asking that I give them a date by which I would have a decision. Problem is, I don't know when my other two programs will give me their final offers. What makes this all the more maddening is that this school gave me a magnificently low offer, but I don't want to turn it down outright just yet in case it ends up being the best offer I get. What should I do? 

One of my programs has asked me a couple times for a decision about their offer. I just received an email from them today that said it was okay if I needed more time, and asking that I give them a date by which I would have a decision. Problem is, I don't know when my other two programs will give me their final offers. What makes this all the more maddening is that this school gave me a magnificently low offer, but I don't want to turn it down outright just yet in case it ends up being the best offer I get. What should I do? 

I'd just tell them what the situation is:  you don't know an exact date because you're still waiting to hear back on some details from other programs before you make your final decision.  That shouldn't be too surprising for them; lots of applicants do the same thing.  Schools can certainly ask or request that you let them know as soon as possible, but as far as I know, they can't force you do make a decision before April 15.  Can anybody else confirm that?

New to the site. Joining to commiserate as this process is brutal and am tired of talking to people who know nothing about it. 

My apps are in Theology/Ethics subfield.

I've got a couple of wait-lists, more rejections, and still waiting on one: Vanderbilt, I've heard nothing from them.

I saw a couple of acceptances for the Theology and Practice fellowship on the results list: congrats to whoever that is!

Anybody heard anything else from Vanderbilt re: basic acceptance or rejection or wait list?

They seem to be taking an extraordinarily long time this year...

Anyone else waitlisted for the TEC track at UVA?  Or does anyone who's been accepted plan to turn down the offer? They've mentioned that there is no ranking for the waitlist at this point, but I'm not really sure what that means.

New to the site. Joining to commiserate as this process is brutal and am tired of talking to people who know nothing about it. 

My apps are in Theology/Ethics subfield.

I've got a couple of wait-lists, more rejections, and still waiting on one: Vanderbilt, I've heard nothing from them.

I saw a couple of acceptances for the Theology and Practice fellowship on the results list: congrats to whoever that is!

Anybody heard anything else from Vanderbilt re: basic acceptance or rejection or wait list?

They seem to be taking an extraordinarily long time this year...

Hey IBSharp! Welcome to the Grad Cafe!

I was one of the Theology and Practice acceptances on the results page, but I wasn't ethics. If you haven't heard from Vanderbilt, that puts you in an odd place. They definitely extended their first round of offers, including the T&P fellowships, but they have also handed out quite a few rejections. I know because I have a few friends who've received them. So if you haven't heard, chances are you are on some form of unofficial waiting list. I know a few people who have received late acceptances from Vanderbilt, as late as April.

My suggestion would be to send a polite email to your person of interest in ethics, likely Victor Anderson, Stacey Floyd-Thomas, or Melissa Snarr. Just say you are still very interested in Vanderbilt, and you were wondering when you might expect to hear something about your application. They will understand your desire to know more about where you stand, and in fact it might help you to let them know that you haven't accepted an offer anywhere else yet.

Best of luck in waiting to hear back! And, truly, being on a few waitlists is a sign you're on the cusp of something good, so hang in there if possible. Same advice as with Vanderbilt, if you haven't been in contact with those other waitlists in a while, it never hurts for you to let them know that you still haven't accepted an offer elsewhere. It might not get you in, but it might draw more attention to your name among the pool of waitlisted people.

Hey IBSharp! Welcome to the Grad Cafe!

I was one of the Theology and Practice acceptances on the results page, but I wasn't ethics. If you haven't heard from Vanderbilt, that puts you in an odd place. They definitely extended their first round of offers, including the T&P fellowships, but they have also handed out quite a few rejections. I know because I have a few friends who've received them. So if you haven't heard, chances are you are on some form of unofficial waiting list. I know a few people who have received late acceptances from Vanderbilt, as late as April.

My suggestion would be to send a polite email to your person of interest in ethics, likely Victor Anderson, Stacey Floyd-Thomas, or Melissa Snarr. Just say you are still very interested in Vanderbilt, and you were wondering when you might expect to hear something about your application. They will understand your desire to know more about where you stand, and in fact it might help you to let them know that you haven't accepted an offer anywhere else yet.

Best of luck in waiting to hear back! And, truly, being on a few waitlists is a sign you're on the cusp of something good, so hang in there if possible. Same advice as with Vanderbilt, if you haven't been in contact with those other waitlists in a while, it never hurts for you to let them know that you still haven't accepted an offer elsewhere. It might not get you in, but it might draw more attention to your name among the pool of waitlisted people.

Congrats on the Theology and Practice acceptance, that is quite the honor!

And thanks for the advice. I was thinking of leaning on a couple of the places where I'm wait-listed just because everything is so up in the air at this point. Having no offers yet is a tough position but I'm holding out hope for these few wait lits. I'll probably shoot them an email today with the intention of showing I'm still HIGHLY interested.

Has anyone heard anything from UT? This is getting kind of ridiculous. According to the results search two people have been offered spots for RAM, but both turned them down. Then they sent rejections to several people, but they haven't made more offers to anyone else (at least that have shown up here). I'm about ready to just commit to another school and withdraw my application. 

Has anyone heard anything from UT? This is getting kind of ridiculous. According to the results search two people have been offered spots for RAM, but both turned them down. Then they sent rejections to several people, but they haven't made more offers to anyone else (at least that have shown up here). I'm about ready to just commit to another school and withdraw my application. 

Toronto or Texas? I got my rejection from Texas at the end of last week IIRC. Haven't heard from Toronto, but I do know someone that was given an offer.