Brown

sarahn

Brown's a great place. I did my undergrad there, and since I got into a PhD program there I'm contemplating going back for that.

Providence is an interesting city, not huge, not small, lots of cool ethnic communities, GREAT italian and dominican food.

Small grad school but people are close and friendly and very helpful.

You'll have a cool time there.

GG

Received word on the 19th I am accepted to the PhD program in History with 5 years of funding. This was one of my top 2 programs, but I've yet to hear back from the other. I'm leaning towards Brown, though I need to work out a lot of logistics first. Of course all this assumes I actually have a choice. I could after all be rejected from ever other school, but I have to say that would surprise me considering I got into Brown.

first of all, i went to brown undergrad and LURVED it. it was a fantastic place, and providence is also a great lil' city.

housing market: my senior yr i lived off campus and paid $400 (w/four roommates, we each paid the same) for two floors of a house right on college hill, about a 5-7 minute walk from brown's main campus. that may be steep, i don't know; now i live in nyc so that seems MAD CHEAP.

another great brown feature: the grad center bar. love it.

give providence a kiss for me if you go there!

haha, you would be the second person to tell me the grad center bar is a reason to go to brown. i went there (with the first person who told me that) and wasn't that excited, but maybe it's good for regulars.

haha, you would be the second person to tell me the grad center bar is a reason to go to brown. i went there (with the first person who told me that) and wasn't that excited, but maybe it's good for regulars.

And therein, miratrix, is the crux of the dillema...if you go to Brown, you WILL become a regular, and I assure you, once you're a regular, the GCB (as we call it around these parts) is the place to be for a fun Thursday night! :D

But I'm such a cheerleader for Brown, it's ridiculous...! I had a GREAT time there, and met some really cool great grad students in my undergrad days...

Does anyone know anything about the MSE or any engineering department in general for grad students? The department seems small compared to others that I am considering and I was just wondering if there was any insight out there into the engineering school.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just decided to go to Brown, and am pretty excited about winding up there in the fall :D Wish I could help with housing advice, but alas, I can't...I'm actually kind of hoping to end up living with a friend who's already in the Applied Math department, so I won't have to do the apartment hunting :)

• 3 weeks later...

craigslist would probably not be bad. also if you go on campus there will probably be flyers posted by landlords who often rent to the brown community. from what i know about living off-campus, which i did senior year undergrad, the landlords aren't great in terms of keeping the place neat and tidy, but you can definitely find good deals on college hill as long as you make sure to hold your landlord accountable - ie, my former roommate did the end-of-the-lease walkthough with them to make sure they didn't try to take more of our security deposit for "damage" than they should have.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, if you are looking for housing near Brown one of the best things you could do is sign up now for the grad student listserv there. There are a ton of students posting around this time of year looking for sublettors or people to take over their leases. You could easily find a roomate or an apartment..

http://www.brown.edu/Students/GSC/static/mailing-lists

Actually, if you are looking for housing near Brown one of the best things you could do is sign up now for the grad student listserv there. There are a ton of students posting around this time of year looking for sublettors or people to take over their leases. You could easily find a roomate or an apartment..

http://www.brown.edu/Students/GSC/static/mailing-lists

how do u register Brown email? did u get it automatically?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use