MSW References

tboyadjian

Like most of you, I'll be applying to multiple schools for the MSW program (fall 2013 start). Most of these schools require 3 references, and in most cases these references are required to complete a form or a letter, and may be contacted by the school. If you apply to 4 schools, each of your references has to fill out 4 forms, and may be contacted 4 times to give their account of you. This seems like a lot! As a result, I'm just wondering if people generally use the same references for all their applications, or if they try to spread it out a bit. I'd prefer not to "overuse" my best references.

Help me out... what are people doing?

As far as I know, it is pretty common practice to use the same 3 references, if you're comfortable doing so. When people agree to be your letter writers/references, they pretty much know what to expect. For a lot of people, it's even part of their job description in a way. Sometimes it can seem like a pain, especially if you're disorganized. But there are ways to make it easier on your references. For instance, if you give them as much information as possible up front, it shouldn't be that hard for them to write you something and then tweak it as needed. If they are all forms, then yes, each person will be filling out several forms. But again, I think most people would be happy to do that for you if they are happy to be your reference in the first place. Also, unless you're having trouble figuring out who would be the best 3 people to write your letters, it sounds like it'd be ideal to stick to 3 you're confident about.

This is my understanding based on what I've heard and experienced in asking for references for other things (usually jobs/internships/etc). I, too, am applying for the fall, so maybe others on the forums know more about this than I do.

I asked my references. I told them the policies of each school I am applying to, stated they may have to fill in information separately, and be contacted by each school. I confirmed each reference was okay with this. Luckily, they were. Therefore, I'm using the same references. But I got permission from them first before I assumed they were okay with it.

I sent my resume via email to them as well as my LinkedIn page which is more detailed... as well as any information anyone requested. This helped the process along. I have also been updating them on the process as I go along so they can get a feel for when they well get those emails from the school.

• 2 weeks later...

I only applied to one school so it wasn't an issue for me. I just picked good reference and I think that made the difference in my acceptance!

I think you can use the same people for all the schools. Your references should be people who know you can do it and want you to do it and so they won't have a problem writing a reference and then copying it out for the rest of the schools...

I think I'm just echoing what has already been said but most often your references know that they will get multiple requests. Chances are that you aren't the only student applying to those schools so they will get the same request from different students multiple times. It actually isn't too big a deal for them since most reference forms are pretty standard--a checklist and an area to expand on specific questions. They can basically cut/paste the same letter for you in several reference forms.

If they know you well, it is pretty easy to write too---it's only hard when they dont know you too well or they have concerns about your ability to handle graduate studies.

• 2 weeks later...