Anyone else gearing up for Oct. 13?

It's pretty difficult to try to balance GRE subject studying, with working on my writing sample, SOP plus my MA coursework. I have to admit that I'm kind of putting GRE Subject on the backburner right now, and it isn't sitting well with me.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS INFORMATION?! Help?

I don't know! I'm sorry. That wasn't a very helpful comment.

I guess the advice I am trying to give is that you should look outside of the Princeton book to study. A number of the questions are reading comprehension questions that you will be able to figure out even if you do not recognize the work. I honestly think that is how I scored most of my points. I cannot, of course, share any information about what was on my test, but you will have a completely different one anyway (I assume). All I can say is that it is a test you cannot really study for. A lot of the knowledge simply comes from years of literary study, specifically canonical study. I've kind of accepted that I didn't do very well on the exam and I have adjusted my application list accordingly.

There is also Vade Mecum (http://www.duke.edu/~tmw15/), but I studied this material also, and again... not much of it was on the exam.

Edited by asleepawake

I took the LIT GRE before applying to MA programs (2 years ago) and am happy enough with that score to send to programs. But... what programs even require this test? None that I am applying to require it. That website posted above says that most programs require it, but barely any do.

But... what programs even require this test? None that I am applying to require it. That website posted above says that most programs require it, but barely any do.

Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, Princeton, UCLA, UVA, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, CUNY, UIUC, Indiana-Bloomington, UC Davis, and others still require the subject test...

I don't know! I'm sorry. That wasn't a very helpful comment.

I guess the advice I am trying to give is that you should look outside of the Princeton book to study. A number of the questions are reading comprehension questions that you will be able to figure out even if you do not recognize the work. I honestly think that is how I scored most of my points. I cannot, of course, share any information about what was on my test, but you will have a completely different one anyway (I assume). All I can say is that it is a test you cannot really study for. A lot of the knowledge simply comes from years of literary study, specifically canonical study. I've kind of accepted that I didn't do very well on the exam and I have adjusted my application list accordingly.

There is also Vade Mecum (http://www.duke.edu/~tmw15/), but I studied this material also, and again... not much of it was on the exam.

Thanks for clarifying!

Can you say anything? Was the test full of non-canonical authors? Was it more modern than what you'd prepared for? Or were the types of questions just not at all what you expected?

Did you take any of the ETS practice tests that were available? Did those help?

Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Cornell, Princeton, UCLA, UVA, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, CUNY, UIUC, Indiana-Bloomington, UC Davis, and others still require the subject test...

Oh ok. I guess it just happens that none of the top programs I am considering applying to (Chicago, Penn, Michigan) require it.

Haha, NEVER MIND! Just realized one school I am seriously considering (USC) requires it.

That's the worst part of the whole thing for me. I'm taking the test because one or two schools still on my "maybe" list require it. I'm brushing up on poetry from Milton to Yeats for a maybe. It kills me.

That's the worst part of the whole thing for me. I'm taking the test because one or two schools still on my "maybe" list require it. I'm brushing up on poetry from Milton to Yeats for a maybe. It kills me.

My first time around applying to MA programs I just assumed that every program would require it, so I studied for the subject test for a VERY long time, and did not study for the general test very much at all. Needless to say, I did great on the subject test, but not so great on the general test. So, this time around I will just use my old subject test score for the one school that requires it, and retake the general test. Honestly, I think that schools would be better off all requiring the subject test and not the general test, but that'll never happen.

Oh ok. I guess it just happens that none of the top programs I am considering applying to (Chicago, Penn, Michigan) require it.

Most of those schools will consider it. So if you dedicate a lot of your time to it and think you'll do well, you might as well use up the leftover free score reports and possibly make an impression (yeah, not a big one, but it might get you noticed if a program gets 500 apps).

Edited by waparys

Most of those schools will consider it. So if you dedicate a lot of your time to it and think you'll do well, you might as well use up the leftover free score reports and possibly make an impression (yeah, not a big one, but it might get you noticed if a program gets 500 apps).

Looking at my notes, I know UPenn says it's "recommended but not required" and that it can totally help. Whatever that means. Either way, it's not going to save any of us from shoddy writing. I'm trying to prioritize fretting over my bad writing instead of fretting over the fact that I never read Shakespeare in college. Can't change the past but I can change my draft.

I mean, I'm totally studying but I'm not approaching it with the fanaticism with which I approached the general test.

I intentionally narrowed my application list down to schools that do not require the Lit test, but now I'm having second thoughts. A faculty mentor is recommending all these programs that require it, saying she'll put in a good word for me at such and such places. I don't even know if I have time to take the exam, let alone study for it. Wait, who am I kidding? I wouldn't study for it...

I don't even know if I have time to take the exam, let alone study for it. Wait, who am I kidding? I wouldn't study for it...

Maybe this is overly cynical, but my gut is that you'd likely make about the same score on the test whether you studied for it or not -- it's that kind of test. You can't really cram for it, if you know what I mean. So, I would recommend taking it, because, as many have said in this forum, lots of folks score pretty low on this lit test and still get in to top schools. I think you may be doing more harm to yourself by limiting yourself to programs that don't require it. Of the programs that do require it, I don't expect that they weigh it too heavily in the mix.

But, of course, you have to weigh things for yourself: time, money, and the programs you feel you have a strong fit with.

Best of luck!

Maybe this is overly cynical, but my gut is that you'd likely make about the same score on the test whether you studied for it or not -- it's that kind of test. You can't really cram for it, if you know what I mean. So, I would recommend taking it, because, as many have said in this forum, lots of folks score pretty low on this lit test and still get in to top schools. I think you may be doing more harm to yourself by limiting yourself to programs that don't require it. Of the programs that do require it, I don't expect that they weigh it too heavily in the mix.

But, of course, you have to weigh things for yourself: time, money, and the programs you feel you have a strong fit with.

Best of luck!

I agree. Just take the test. Don't waste too much time studying. Though I think it is possible to improve your score somewhat through extensive studying, the return is not worth the effort compared to other things you could put that effort/time into (say, your writing sample). Brush up on a few things, like the "A" list in the Princeton Review book, and then take the test. This is, of course, assuming that you are interested in these schools that require the test. When you get your score, you can decide if it is worth it to apply.

My scores were low and I am still applying to a few schools that require the test.

Edited by asleepawake

I agree. Just take the test. Don't waste too much time studying. Though I think it is possible to improve your score somewhat through extensive studying, the return is not worth the effort compared to other things you could put that effort/time into (say, your writing sample). Brush up on a few things, like the "A" list in the Princeton Review book, and then take the test. This is, of course, assuming that you are interested in these schools that require the test. When you get your score, you can decide if it is worth it to apply.

My scores were low and I am still applying to a few schools that require the test.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the "you don't have to study sentiment."

I've been looking through the Princeton Review book and past ETS exams and I think it wholly depends on your BA education. Mine focused on creative writing and twentieth century. Yeah, I had distribution requirements and I've read Spenser and Margery Kempe, but it doesn't mean I've retained much of it (from sophomore year, no less). The exam seems to focus on pre-19th century stuff and I would not consider that a personal strength. I think it's definitely "studiable" for. And if you've got the time/energy, you could easily get 20 extra points with just a week of cramming.

Either way, good luck! I'm taking it in November (abroad, no less, so I won't even have the same test as most people!).

I've been looking through the Princeton Review book and past ETS exams and I think it wholly depends on your BA education. Mine focused on creative writing and twentieth century. Yeah, I had distribution requirements and I've read Spenser and Margery Kempe, but it doesn't mean I've retained much of it (from sophomore year, no less). The exam seems to focus on pre-19th century stuff and I would not consider that a personal strength. I think it's definitely "studiable" for. And if you've got the time/energy, you could easily get 20 extra points with just a week of cramming.

Either way, good luck! I'm taking it in November (abroad, no less, so I won't even have the same test as most people!).

Agreed. If you have fairly noticeable canon-holes in your literary education, I think there's something to be gained for spending some time putting names/works to dates/periods. However, I still wouldn't place too much importance on it, especially if taking the test is a "last minute" decision. How much time you would want to devote to studying would depend on where you're at with other bits of the application, not so much on how much it would actually improve your score. I think it's worthwhile to take the test anyway just to keep your options open.

Agreed. If you have fairly noticeable canon-holes in your literary education, I think there's something to be gained for spending some time putting names/works to dates/periods. However, I still wouldn't place too much importance on it, especially if taking the test is a "last minute" decision. How much time you would want to devote to studying would depend on where you're at with other bits of the application, not so much on how much it would actually improve your score. I think it's worthwhile to take the test anyway just to keep your options open.

lol, I totally have canon holes.

(See what studying for this damned test has done to my brain?)

I fully expect to score below the 40th percentile. So long, Cornell...

Edited by bfat

Well, I don't mean that you shouldn't or can't study at all. I mean that the return on the time invested may not be worth it. It should not be the thing that you spend your time on if your time is limited. I took the test in April so that I could have time to study before the chaos of application season. I studied at least 30-40 hours over 2 months, and I would guess that all of the studying probably earned me only a few extra points on the exam. I spent a lot of time studying works without really getting to know any of them, and most of those works did not appear on the test, of course. I also have huge canon holes, but I found that this made studying less effective, not more effective. I could have read a smaller number of important works and learned them well with that time, but the GRE is all about breadth rather than depth. I have forgotten much of this information now and it feels like wasted time.

You should study, though, all of the poetry terms and the shorter but important poems on the "A list" in the Princeton book. This is time well spent because it is information that is ripe for memorization, unlike, say, identifying the style of Samuel Richardson from a paragraph.

Edited by asleepawake

lol, I totally have canon holes.

(See what studying for this damned test has done to my brain?)

I fully expect to score below the 40th percentile. So long, Cornell...

OK, I probably should've caught that when I wrote it. My brain must be starting to leak out of those can(n)on holes. Thanks for pointing it out, I got a good laugh. :D

I'm considering it a win if I make the grid but I don't think this test will sink the Cornell ship entirely.

ETA: Oh, and I think there's a dramatic difference between studying how to identify a passage by Samuel Richardson and studying to get a general idea of WHO Samuel Richardson was. Being able to recall, without googling, that he wrote Pamela & Clarissa is a big help to me. Reading those works, not so much. (Although I totally kind of sort of want to. Not for the test but curiosity.) I think this test has a huge "law of diminishing returns" factor and we're all going to have different points, because we all have different canon holes, where the gained utility drops enough that we stop studying and do something else.

Edited by girl who wears glasses